8 yo that just move to the left

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Just curious rdbass with that bat path will it affect the ability to hit the riseball?
Nope:
Miggy_fronthigh.gif

Cabrera_FB_highside_sync.gif

g1e0b.gif

Stick, curious how will this bat path do against a riseball?

Last edited:

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
I'm not sure yet still figuring things out. Lol
g1e0b.gif

Trying to help you 'figure it out':
316m0ll.gif

2lu2wr7.gif

dx028j.gif

Swinging down on the ball isn't the bat/barrel path that your DD is looking for. Learn to hit line drives or balls slightly angled up off the tee.
You will thank me later when you 'figure it out'.

Last edited:
May 24, 2013
So Cal
Another consideration...A downward bat path to contact requires the batter's timing to be nearly perfect to have a chance to hit the ball. Turning the barrel to the path of the pitch earlier in the swing (not the same as leveling the barrel and swinging flat) creates a longer window of time for solid contact to occur.

Sep 17, 2009
Two reasons why I asked why lefty?:

1) if the idea is to slap/bunt, was just curious why you were starting with full swing. Not saying it's bad idea, just that turning around a full swing is tougher because she won't be on her natural side and thus will lose some athleticism which she'll have to replace with lots of reps. Most who turn around start with walk-up footwork and bunt/slap bat paths.

2) Slap bat paths are more"down to" versus the "behind and through" bat path you are looking for with a full swing (which is pretty much the feedback you've gotten so far on her swing). The goal of soft/directional slapping is typically to put the ball on the ground to the left side, and once you have those mechanics in place build the power lsap or full lefty swing from from there.

I don't think it's wrong to work on her full swing (and in fact is probably a good idea). But it's also challenging. I'd get some help if you can or just keep asking and learning! Starting her early is a great first decision.

Good luck.

PS-also, yes, don't worry about rise balls. best decision on most rise balls is don't swing...

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
rdbass, the movement pattern he demos in the drill is similar to the HI movement pattern.. frontal movement with lateral tilt... I don't see any loading/stretching in the sagittal plane.

the movement pattern he demos in the drill is similar to the HI movement pattern..
attachment.php

I dis-agree about the 'HI movement pattern'. Looks like Chas is doing the MOVE which isn't in the 'HI pattern'.
I was thinking more about the part that Chas talks about the 'stretching' part but, as you already commented...
I don't see any loading/stretching in the sagittal plane.
Thanks.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA