Time to move on?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 31, 2015
One last thought for the OP -

at some point you will find that softball, like all sports, becomes a business. So while your DD has been coached by professionals, it seems like they were using more of an inclusive, rec-style of play, which is great at younger ages.

But you and your DD have outgrown it. And now it’s on to a higher level for both of you. A level where allegiances and friendships and relationships are still meaningful, but where playing time, player development, and college prospecting are equally important.

I guess what I’m saying is your family is at an inflection point. Embrace the change and don’t look back.

Jun 11, 2013
First off, almost any pretty good player can play in college if they really want to.

The question then becomes is she enjoying playing on the team. If it were an A level top tier team it might be worth sticking out if it could get her to play for a college she wants. Since it's not I think it's a pretty easy decision to leave.

Mar 5, 2021
Thanks everyone for the advice, I guess I was just looking for validation for DD's decision. You guys nailed it! Currently second year 14U.

Regarding college, she's super smart and in all AP/Honors classes, we've saved for her since she was born so money is not an issue. She's made clear to us that she'd like to, and is going to try, to play in college will choose the best academic school she can get into - softball or no softball. Fingers crossed it's Harvard with softball (LOL).

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
Thanks everyone for the advice, I guess I was just looking for validation for DD's decision. You guys nailed it! Currently second year 14U.

Regarding college, she's super smart and in all AP/Honors classes, we've saved for her since she was born so money is not an issue. She's made clear to us that she'd like to, and is going to try, to play in college will choose the best academic school she can get into - softball or no softball. Fingers crossed it's Harvard with softball (LOL).
If that's the case, attending one of these might be in order once they start having them again. All-Ivy Softball Camps - Register Online Today! (collegesoftballcamps.com)

Jul 31, 2015

Ivies are great but don’t overlook the Patriot League (Bucknell, Lehigh, Georgetown) NESCAC (Tufts, Williams, Middlebury, Amherst), UAA (Emory, Wash U, Case Western, NYU) and schools like MIT and U Chicago, all of which have softball programs and tippy top academics. Her skill level will dictate where she is recruited, but there are a lot of good options.

May 4, 2016
Depending on your situation look for “need blind” schools that provide full need. There are several D3 schools that fit that bill.

Jul 27, 2015
DD is getting tired of it. She knows she only has a couple more years of play but I hate for her to be that team-hopper looking to upgrade but OTOH she'd like (and I'd like for her) to have ONE trophy to look back on.

My daughter is second year 18u. I regret we did not move more. We wasted a year or two on a team that did nothing to develop her. I personally think you should move every 2-3 years. She will learn new things and get pushed new ways.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
smart and in all AP/Honors classes, we've saved for her since she was born so money is not an issue. She's made clear to us that she'd like to, and is going to try, to play in college will choose the best academic school she can get into - softball or no softball. Fingers crossed it's Harvard with softball (LOL).
Have encountered this opportunity with mindset,
....Which is absolutely fine.
'We have the $
Dd has the grades
Softball would be fun in college.
But its not primary goal nor a necessity.'

So thats really not
'I for sure am making softball a college goal.'
Which is fine.

However it makes the current situation oddly difficult
in that
If she's really not making softball a long term goal...
Why then now choose putting herself in a possibly uncomfortable team situation
Where she MUST PUSH AND GROW in SOFTBALL.

There comes a time to the responsibility to acknowledge
*How we apply our effort is either to simply enjoy today
Or
*Use today to build for tomorow.

People are saying dont sell your dd short....by counting her out of college ball. Dont think you are. Just that your waiting to make a firm commitment .
imo thats the elephant in the room....
And theres a HUGE difference between people who will go to ANY COLLEGE to play vs. people who only want to attend 'certain colleges' vs. playing at all.
(maybe the higher bar of softball at the ivy's or certain colleges she wants to attend is the mountain in front of her she doesnt want to climb...because her grades alone wont be enough to get her on the team)
Not to be snarky :) just sayin' ;)

She can do whatever she wants. AND She has 'a get out of softball free card' in that if she doesnt want to play softball in college she doesnt need its assistance getting into college.
Which means now she has to decide if softball matters and how much!

Reminder
For MANY PEOPLE the added cost $$$$$$ just to play travel in itself makes GETTING TO PLAY TRAVEL a really important decision NOW!
For these folks what they are doing now in softball is an investment for their future!!

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles