40 to 43 feet

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

gvm

Sep 3, 2010
any advice or words of wisdom? dd got the call to play up due to injuries. so there was very little notice and we could'nt get much practice in. can anyone remember something they might have said to their daughters when they made the jump,that might have helped out?

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
any advice or words of wisdom? dd got the call to play up due to injuries. so there was very little notice and we could'nt get much practice in. can anyone remember something they might have said to their daughters when they made the jump,that might have helped out?

"Go out and have fun"

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
Don't tell her. We scrambled for a second pitcher in the spring when we had two out for a scrimmage. Brought up a 12 and she pitched away. Someone asked her afterwards if she minded the extra 3 feet. She didn't even notice.

Jun 24, 2009
Don't tell her. We scrambled for a second pitcher in the spring when we had two out for a scrimmage. Brought up a 12 and she pitched away. Someone asked her afterwards if she minded the extra 3 feet. She didn't even notice.

Best advise you will get!

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Pitcher? Don't even mention it.

Fielder / hitter, let her know she has extra time so she will feel more comfortable moving up in age to hit against older girls.

Nov 24, 2009
Tampa, Fl
My 11yo pitched against a 14U team a few weeks ago and did pretty well. When I asked her about the extra 3 ft she gave me the deer in headlights look. Didn't have a clue, so I would just let her pitch and have fun.

Jul 26, 2010
She won't even notice.

If she's batting, she'll probably be early and won't hit as hard as normal. The extra 3 feet throw batters off way more then it throws pitchers off. She'll probably be amazed at how well her change is working.

-W

gvm

Sep 3, 2010
it's to late,i already told her? i wish i went to the board first because she would have never realized it. lastnight i told her that she threw from 43 ft all winter(indoor league) and she never even knew? and it's hard to say throw harder? because i'm pretty sure she throws as hard as she can anyways? that's like saying (just throw strikes)???

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
I would not worry to much about the transition, but if your DD has a lot of movement on her pitches, she may need to 'tighten up' her release or adjust her point of aim. A curve ball on the outside corner at 40' can be 6" off the plate at 43' if a pitcher has a lot of movement. The adjustment from 35' to 40' along with going from a 11" to 12" ball was a much bigger adjustment.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA