40 to 43 feet

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 22, 2008
Several years back my daughters 16U club coach entered them in a gold tournament right after they had made the change to 43'. They didnt tell the girls the plate had been moved back, and as has been said already, the pitchers never even figured it out until the last game of the day. One of the pitchers after the last game went out and stepped off the plate and then went to the coach and told her someone had put the pitching plate in wrong.

It didnt affect the pitchers in the slightest, but it did make the batters all early for the first couple of games.

Oct 22, 2009
PA
Don't tell her. We scrambled for a second pitcher in the spring when we had two out for a scrimmage. Brought up a 12 and she pitched away. Someone asked her afterwards if she minded the extra 3 feet. She didn't even notice.

I agree. A lot of the girls have no idea if you don't make an issue of it. You will notice though that more balls will be put in play.

Jan 25, 2011
The only thing I can see happening is she might get rocked by the older girls,and the extra 3 feet,so you might have some damage control to deal with after the first game.That 3 feet is a big plus for the batters.So good luck

Jun 25, 2011
Boise , ID
At a tournament earlier this year someone noticed on day 2 that the rubber was set at 35 feet rather than 40 feet . The funny thing was that the day before only 16U teams had played on that field with the pitching rubber in the same spot and no-one noticed at all .

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
I want smart pitchers, and I don't believe that no one noticed 35 feet. My local HS pitching student notices it in like one second. And many of the young ones step it off to check.

I am curious about this too. It has come up on a few posts.

I think the Players have to know, maybe they not comfortable speaking up.

Jun 25, 2011
Boise , ID
That is dangerous for 16s and why are 16s at 40 to begin with?

I want smart pitchers, and I don't believe that no one noticed 35 feet. My local HS pitching student notices it in like one second. And many of the young ones step it off to check.

The 16s should have been at 43 and I have no idea why the field was setup incorrectly . City parks and rec were the ones setting up the fields and they may have erroneously set it up for 10U's even though they were playing at a different location . My DD's team actually played a complete 12U game just before the game it was noticed . Her coaching staff includes a HS coach that has numerous state championships to her name and nobody noticed it then either .

Having spent the last 42 years surrounded by human beings I have no difficulties in believing that it was missed by everyone for a full 24 hours . Most people aren't aware of 10% of whats further than arms length in front of them .

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
PHP:
At a tournament earlier this year someone noticed on day 2 that the rubber was set at 35 feet rather than 40 feet . The funny thing was that the day before only 16U teams had played on that field with the pitching rubber in the same spot and no-one noticed at all .

16U could use a temporary rubber at 43ft and not be bothered by a permanent rubber at 35ft.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nate321