Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Register Log in

2B's footwork turning a double play?

Aug 20, 2017
Everybody teaches the pivot at 2B differently. I do very basic stuff. It all depends on how hard the ball is hit. Harder the ball the less time 2B has a chance for a basic set up. Here’s what I teach:
1.) 2B has to get to the bag quickly
2.) show chest and box with hands directly at whoever is feeding. Down in legs, athletic.
3.) Left foot on base, right foot to the ball (if time allows). You have to get your right foot down to be able to throw. They should get their right foot down as soon as the ball enters the glove (catch/step timing), turn and throw.

That is VERY basic but it’s a starting point for teaching it. Take your right foot to the ball wherever it’s throw. It should be a quick move with the feet, not a big step to the ball. The feed is critical! That’s why I teach showing chest to feeder.
Start here and watch them. Roll balls to SS (flips, pivots, back hands, hard at etc) and stress to 2B to NOT catch the ball, then get right foot down. Stress to catch it and right foot down at same time.

Oct 26, 2019
To piggyback on what @Cornbread said. Keep it simple. The right foot beats the ball to the spot so you can catch the ball is in her chest as possible or slightly right of belly button. Then try your best to throw from where you catch the ball… Meaning if the throw is low throw from low and if the throw is high throw from high. It kills a lot of time when you catch the ball a foot or two off the ground and then stand straight up and throw it over the top arm action.

Jan 13, 2020
Maybe the kids can picture doing this.

- Softball Double Play Footwork Around 2B Bag

- Double Play Footwork for Second Baseman

Dec 10, 2015
Chautauqua County
I seem to remember a Kobata drill where the 2b puts his right foor on the bag,catches the ball and steps back on to his left foot and throws. I don't know if this is still taught.

Jan 13, 2020
I seem to remember a Kobata drill where the 2b puts his right foor on the bag,catches the ball and steps back on to his left foot and throws. I don't know if this is still taught.
Believe you may be right - that is a method that is taught

Jan 13, 2020
Just have to show this "poetry in motion". SS & 2B

- Softball Double Play Mechanics [Softball Infield Tips]

Jan 13, 2020
Mr Antonelli just keeps bringing them for us (y)

- Second Base Double Play Footwork [Softball Infield Tips]