2B's footwork turning a double play?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 20, 2017
Everybody teaches the pivot at 2B differently. I do very basic stuff. It all depends on how hard the ball is hit. Harder the ball the less time 2B has a chance for a basic set up. Here’s what I teach:
1.) 2B has to get to the bag quickly
2.) show chest and box with hands directly at whoever is feeding. Down in legs, athletic.
3.) Left foot on base, right foot to the ball (if time allows). You have to get your right foot down to be able to throw. They should get their right foot down as soon as the ball enters the glove (catch/step timing), turn and throw.

That is VERY basic but it’s a starting point for teaching it. Take your right foot to the ball wherever it’s throw. It should be a quick move with the feet, not a big step to the ball. The feed is critical! That’s why I teach showing chest to feeder.
Start here and watch them. Roll balls to SS (flips, pivots, back hands, hard at etc) and stress to 2B to NOT catch the ball, then get right foot down. Stress to catch it and right foot down at same time.

Oct 26, 2019
To piggyback on what @Cornbread said. Keep it simple. The right foot beats the ball to the spot so you can catch the ball is in her chest as possible or slightly right of belly button. Then try your best to throw from where you catch the ball… Meaning if the throw is low throw from low and if the throw is high throw from high. It kills a lot of time when you catch the ball a foot or two off the ground and then stand straight up and throw it over the top arm action.

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
Maybe the kids can picture doing this.

- Softball Double Play Footwork Around 2B Bag

- Double Play Footwork for Second Baseman

Dec 10, 2015
Chautauqua County
I seem to remember a Kobata drill where the 2b puts his right foor on the bag,catches the ball and steps back on to his left foot and throws. I don't know if this is still taught.

BigSkyHi

Jan 13, 2020
I seem to remember a Kobata drill where the 2b puts his right foor on the bag,catches the ball and steps back on to his left foot and throws. I don't know if this is still taught.
Believe you may be right - that is a method that is taught

BigSkyHi

Jan 13, 2020
Just have to show this "poetry in motion". SS & 2B

- Softball Double Play Mechanics [Softball Infield Tips]

BigSkyHi

Jan 13, 2020
Mr Antonelli just keeps bringing them for us (y)

- Second Base Double Play Footwork [Softball Infield Tips]

Nov 30, 2018
Marikina, Philippines
I'm coaching MS baseball, but this applies to the same age group in softball. I always received the ball from the 3B and SS with my left foot on the back corner of the bag then cleared myself just before the throw to 1B. My issue is these small boys are having an problem getting anything on the throw, this is the first time these boys have had to make that 90' throw to first!

Just curious if any of you are teaching any different footwork around the bag, these kids are wanting to come across the bag and throw from inside the baseline, problem there is their accuracy while throwing on the run.

My way, the way I described above is with a perfect throw, I understand the throw dictates exactly where I receive the ball and that will dictate my footwork, and trust me.......I haven't seen many perfect throws yet! It's looking like the force at second may just be good enough for now!

They could do a cross-over pivot at 2B, stepping on the far side of the bag, again with the left foot, then step right and throw. The cross-over usually gives a little harder throw. Lastly, they can do the back-side pivot onto the side of the bag toward LF. Receive the throw about 2 feet behind the bag right foot receiving the throw, then step on the back edge directly toward 1B and throw. It might not be easy for some kids. Otherwise it might be just a force out situation.

I don't think this is new for you, but just in case,

KEYS for SS and 2B:
* Try to approach the thrower, not the bag. In other words try to move to create as much of a straight line between the thrower, the bag, and the receiver as possible.
* This allows the thrower to step at, or step across the bag directly at the throw. This is key!!!!!
* Normal continuation pivots, are executed, as in the SS cross-over; SS inside pivot for balls thrown inside the diamond (baselines); 2B push-back; 2B cross-over, with throws received on the left foot. In the 2B backdoor pivot the catch is made on the right foot first then step left foot onto the bag.
* Give a target to the thrower, both hands letters high.
* Talk to the thrower.
* Adjust your speed approaching the bag to the play's speed, or come to a near stop on the back side of the bag away from the thrower. Slow down if need be, then get momentum as you receive the throw.
* Emphasize the first out.

FOOTNOTES:
SS INSIDE PIVOT shown below.
* On the inside pivot for throws from 1B or pitcher, the SS takes a curved route so at 2B they are moving directly at 1B, not across the base-runners path. Again, the left foot touches the base while receiving the ball. Then a low quick crow-hop, in front not stepping behind, to make the throw to stay outside the base-path.
* The bag is kind of big for a little tot. Normally the SS would step across the middle of the bag, so the "kick-behind" step will clip the corner of the bag. That may need to be compromised depending on the SS' size. Stepping more toward the CF corner of the bag or stepping on the bag may be options. The photo series are of a high-school middle infielder I was working with in 1987 or '88.
* On the SS pivot, the step should be made dragging the right foot against the corner of the bag, and sliding it behind the left foot to create the throwing pivot foot. This turns the shoulders in-line with 1B, insuring a more accurate throw.

I probably forgot something, but good luck.

Just saw BigShyHi's Antonelli video. That is your "push-back" pivot. The 2B has a lot of momentum to the bag. It is great is you can keep the throwing pivot foot, the right foot, behind or deeper than the left foot, bag foot, receiving the throw. That keeps the the 2B further behind the baseline. She did a great job, what she had to do, but appears to have had to throw a little more over the runner than ideal.

Wow, just saw BigSkyHi's video on 2B pivots. Very thorough, "worse" than mine, haha! But excellent! Great for other coaches perhaps too complicated for little league or 12u, but excellent none the less. Who is that guy? He seriously doesn't want to be called a "red-neck".

Attachments

• 2nd Base Pivots.gif
    2nd Base Pivots.gif
    1.8 MB · Views: 11
  • Inside pivot sm.jpg
    Inside pivot sm.jpg
    297.8 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member