2B's footwork turning a double play?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

NBECoach

Learning everyday
Aug 9, 2018
Not trying to be a smarta$$. But how many dp's have your teams turned 6-4-3? If it's a lot then I have no case

Jun 8, 2016
Not trying to be a smarta$$. But how many dp's have your teams turned 6-4-3? If it's a lot then I have no case
Well my DD's teams is a first year 12U and while there have been a couple which were close 6-4-3 DP the only ones they have actually turned are when my DD ranges up the middle from SS, steps on second and throws to 1st. Baseball, even at the ages he is talking about, might be a little different though.

NBECoach

Learning everyday
Aug 9, 2018
Well my DD's teams is a first year 12U and while there have been a couple which were close 6-4-3 DP the only ones they have actually turned are when my DD ranges up the middle from SS, steps on second and throws to 1st. Baseball, even at the ages he is talking about, might be a little different though.

Well as long as you see this as a realistic play then by all means practice it. I see way too many teams who struggle to get a simple ground out practicing dp's

Jun 8, 2016
Well as long as you see this as a realistic play then by all means practice it. I see way too many teams who struggle to get a simple ground out practicing dp's
Agreed, if you have a team that cannot field GB then spending a lot of time practicing DP turns is probably a waste. However spending the last 10 to 15 minutes working on it can be a fun change of pace for the kids. My DD's team doesn't work on it but I have done some individual work with my DD on it.

Jun 11, 2013
Footwork is really important but the number one thing to stress to 2B is that you need to get the first out. Make sure you give the left side of the infield a good target as there is a runner coming often in a similary color uniform at the same time. Get to the base as soon as possible.

How you handle the footwork depends on the time involved and the speed of the runners. If it's not hit that hard you'll likely not get 2 so you might have to play it like a 1B and stretch to get that out. How you actually do it somewhat depends on how good of an arm you have. Work on the technique that you can get it to first the fastest while not getting hurt.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
None, yet. But with the perfect hit ball I can see one (1) happening this year, 11 games to go. But like pattar said, more than likely it'll be the SS taking it himself.

With Anna's TB team it was worked on EVERY practice, and they turned a lot of DP's, even though the MI on that team rotated and sub'ed out a lot, every combination of girls playing MI could really get it done, very fun to watch!

This past couple of weeks is the first time I've taken grounders with a baseball in over 30 years, man a baseball will get on you very quickly!

May 16, 2016
Illinois
Lots of good information already posted.

Couple things I would add are

1- that the 2nd baseman should try to get their left foot, and knee pointed towards first base when throwing. If the toes and knee are pointed towards first base it will greatly reduce the chance of knee injury if the 2nd baseman is taken out. Knee injuries happen when the foot is still pointed towards third base and they get their legs taken out from a 90 degree angle.

2 - if the base runner is not sliding the 2nd baseman has to throw the ball through the runner. He/she can't throw the ball over the runner. I see this a lot of younger infielders that get scared that they will hit the runner with the ball and throw the ball over the 1st baseman's head.

May 17, 2012
Having studied footwork for 20 years I would point to Kobata and his double play foot work. It's the easiest and most efficient way to turn a double play in softball (from 2B).

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
Got some advice from Whitey Herzog about coaching youth many decades ago.

• Kids are like monkeys, they will imitate whatever they last saw. So if you want your team to struggle, work with the ones that are not doing it correctly.
  • To rapidly improve athleticism, coach throw from area of pitchers mound (Entire team drill)
    • From short stop they run towards 2nd base bag; break down; left foot hits ground when they catch the gall; pop right foot; throw when left foot hits ground; jump to the right foot
    • From second base, the run towards the 2nd base bag, catch right; throw left; jump right
In not too many practices they will be much improved athletically and can much better handle the intricacies of making different plays.

Got get em coach

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28