1st year 14u - Swing mechanics what to work on

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 16, 2015
South East
Wow, sorry i really had that one backwards. I really can't see the new swing being more powerful. Maybe more controllable with less movement?

Hmmmm, i am really confused now. Can you explain the progression and how the new swing is better? What were you 'fixing' from old to new. thanks. There looks to be a large amount of lag in the new swing the frame right before contact.

View attachment 18277

No worries man, it is all good... In a nut shell, it is just way more efficient.... It creates a ton of force in a much tighter window.... Now my DD is a VERY tight mover so she can probably get away with the less movement compared to other hitters..... The main thing IMO is that it has way less moving parts to it, which makes it more repeatable and consistent. Which may allow for better bat control to square the ball up better IDK but makes sense..... If you believe in the fascial lines. The magic happens when the brakes are applied (the bracing into impact). When the brakes are applied, the stuff that was being drug by the torso springs into action due to the tension that was created in the fascial lines..... this is the rebounding that Buttermaker referred to earlier. That is the added force. It can be considered as weight shift into the actual striking of the ball if that helps...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
No worries man, it is all good... In a nut shell, it is just way more efficient.... It creates a ton of force in a much tighter window.... Now my DD is a VERY tight mover so she can probably get away with the less movement compared to other hitters..... The main thing IMO is that it has way less moving parts to it, which makes it more repeatable and consistent. Which may allow for better bat control to square the ball up better IDK but makes sense..... If you believe in the fascial lines. The magic happens when the brakes are applied (the bracing into impact). When the brakes are applied, the stuff that was being drug by the torso springs into action due to the tension that was created in the fascial lines..... this is the rebounding that Buttermaker referred to earlier. That is the added force. It can be considered as weight shift into the actual striking of the ball if that helps...

How are brakes applied? I have only recently seen an improvement in DD when we hold a rear dead leg. is that the brakes?

Oct 2, 2017
can you explain why? thanks.
It's because she is taking the slack out. Again IMO, she is doing it by keeping her hands and elbow back as the core (More and more, I'm leaning to the belief that its the core firing first) is firing. Essentially for lack of better words, its keeping the shoulders closed as everything else is firing. So in a sense it's tightening the spring. Allows her as like buttermaker said to stay smaller or more compact. As it tightens, It pulls the elbow into the slot, and the hands to the correct position to be used effectively

Feb 16, 2015
South East
How are brakes applied? I have only recently seen an improvement in DD when we hold a rear dead leg. is that the brakes?

That is part of it..... I believe it is a bracing action of the body, contraction that is very brief, some call this action “pulse”. The dead leg is what helps create the crossbody tension so that the brakes are more effective....

Edit: think of the pulse as “Kime” in martial arts......

Bracing%20-2.gif

Photo%20Jun%2018%2C%202%2000%2027%20PM.gif

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
I agree that it is pretty good.

I think if she just changes this to a little more "Down TO" right at the start I think it's really good.

No fasciotomies or sagittal planes to worry about IMO.

IUzpnGR.gif
This gif shows exactly where she goes wrong. Casting leading to bat drag. Her hands get stuck behind her elbow/torso. I think someone else mentioned to fix drag first before you worry about anything else and I think I agree. Deltoid drill.

May 12, 2016
This gif shows exactly where she goes wrong. Casting leading to bat drag. Her hands get stuck behind her elbow/torso. I think someone else mentioned to fix drag first before you worry about anything else and I think I agree. Deltoid drill.
Reinforcing staying connected

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
It's because she is taking the slack out. Again IMO, she is doing it by keeping her hands and elbow back as the core (More and more, I'm leaning to the belief that its the core firing first) is firing. Essentially for lack of better words, its keeping the shoulders closed as everything else is firing. So in a sense it's tightening the spring. Allows her as like buttermaker said to stay smaller or more compact. As it tightens, It pulls the elbow into the slot, and the hands to the correct position to be used effectively
Ok, i think i understand. It just seems counter to what everyone has been saying about taking out the slack and stretching and range of motion. seems more like Altuve if i think of it right.

edit: i sent before i saw the Altuve GIF haha.

Oct 2, 2017
Ok, i think i understand. It just seems counter to what everyone has been saying about taking out the slack and stretching and range of motion. seems more like Altuve if i think of it right.

edit: i sent before i saw the Altuve GIF haha.
Not sure how others are talking about it. But in this video starting at the 5:15 mark is what I'm talking about.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mizenikki1