1st year 14u - Swing mechanics what to work on

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
Ferree came in with no experience in baseball/softball. No preconceived notions about how things should be. Her lens is how the body is designed to move. There are many baseball pitchers in particular that owe her either directly or indirectly big time. Hitting is getting an overhaul bc she has shed some serious light on what moves what and why
Can you lead me to those discussions? Is this a training thing, or the swing has been wrong. The issue i have is that alot of people coaching/teaching seem to be rebranding the same thing, just said in a different way. There are also things that are being tried and promoted as the next best thing. I do see a huge benefit in watching the Functional Patterns video that was connected to the funny doctors video. I see the benefit as many old training devices and systems knew how to get the big muscles and left alot left over. I look at it like an old physics teacher said. fill a glass with rocks, is it full? then pour sand into it, is it full now? then pour water into it, is it full now? throw some type of gas in there, etc... The fascia and connections and items they are finding now allow us to train better. I get the sequence and trying to activate things that aren't a big muscle is key to get the most out of the swing, i am just not hearing anything different and people seem to see what they want in any given swing where someone else see something completely different. So that's why i try to lead my DD to many of these patterns, and she needs to let me know what 'feels' right. She knows when she knocks the cover off the ball. It's up to her body to tell her, and i am just trying to get her in the right general spots. where she hasn't been close enough to even get there yet. IMO

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
Although you may see the hands stay back as the stride moves out, Watch what happens once they launch, The hands usually get to the the shoulder roughly. I think part of the issue is with some players, is that they tend to push the knob away from the body as the first move with either the top or bottom hand. Instead the knob should get in on the shoulder/body. JMO

IMO that initial pushing the knob out. What I see in this post: https://www.discussfastpitch.com/th...g-mechanics-what-to-work-on.35342/post-570950
No disagreeing, i see that same thing, which is why we worked on it. To me, after launch, if the hands stay back and 'stretch' more, that causes arm bar and bat wrap. Not what i want. i have always thought the hands need to go with shoulders. This is the discussion to me on TM's snap the wrist, and i call it holding on for dear life so that the shoulders dont get away from the hands.

I have shown her as well that her initial elbow slot is actually her losing grip on the top hand and throttling the handle without actually doing anything. essentially her grip is released on the top hand and the elbow slotted and she turns into door knockers. If you watch the easton logo on the bat as she slots you will see no movement in the word. It should rotate away from the camera and does not.

this is an issue we know about and need to fix. I think there was babe ruth or some other hitter that talked about snapping the handle between the hands opposing forces gripping the handle?like if you were holding a pencil instead of a handle and tried to snap the pencil in two.

As i mentioned before, alot of stuff to fix. hopefully she can get used to some of it to be routine. thanks for the comments.

Oct 2, 2017
No disagreeing, i see that same thing, which is why we worked on it. To me, after launch, if the hands stay back and 'stretch' more, that causes arm bar and bat wrap. Not what i want. i have always thought the hands need to go with shoulders. This is the discussion to me on TM's snap the wrist, and i call it holding on for dear life so that the shoulders dont get away from the hands.

I have shown her as well that her initial elbow slot is actually her losing grip on the top hand and throttling the handle without actually doing anything. essentially her grip is released on the top hand and the elbow slotted and she turns into door knockers. If you watch the easton logo on the bat as she slots you will see no movement in the word. It should rotate away from the camera and does not.

this is an issue we know about and need to fix. I think there was babe ruth or some other hitter that talked about snapping the handle between the hands opposing forces gripping the handle?like if you were holding a pencil instead of a handle and tried to snap the pencil in two.

As i mentioned before, alot of stuff to fix. hopefully she can get used to some of it to be routine. thanks for the comments.
My DD was doing this exact thing: https://www.discussfastpitch.com/threads/allie-9yr-old.37372/post-552225

Feb 16, 2015
South East
I do, thanks. I see it mostly in posture. I have shown the progression below from pre stride to post contact.

Your DD starts with more weight into back leg. A better coiled starting point. Old video has her 50/50 ish. Old handset was out and barrel up. New handset is knob to catcher and a bit farther back. that may be camera angle tho. There may also be something that the old video is an incoming pitch, her head looks forward as new is head down to tee.

Old has no coil or FYB. It's a small pick up of front foot and place down 50/50 a little bit farther ahead. No Scap load or tightening action. No stretch. Everything looks weak and slow in old swing. no offense.

I believe the core works the same in both swings for as much as it can given the lack of FYB in old swing. but she gets to the same ultimate extended swing with a little less posture leaning less back.

Tons of power and force in new swing.

Do you see any differnces?? ;)

View attachment 18266

View attachment 18267

View attachment 18268

View attachment 18269

View attachment 18270

View attachment 18273

View attachment 18271

View attachment 18272

I believe you have the videos backwards lol......the NEW is on the field....... The OLD is on the tee..... but I believe your assessment is pretty good between the two swings if I reverse them with one difference.... The slow part of the new swing.... it is indeed much quicker (time to the ball wise) the bat speed is still there also, you can hear it before contact is made but the video does make it look slower for whatever reason..... but it is about 3.5 frames from launch to contact and as you can tell it contains a lot less effort....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
I believe you have the videos backwards lol......the NEW is on the field....... The OLD is on the tee..... but I believe your assessment is pretty good between the two swings if I reverse them with one difference.... The slow part of the new swing.... it is indeed much quicker (time to the ball wise) the bat speed is still there also, you can hear it before contact is made but the video does make it look slower for whatever reason..... but it is about 3.5 frames from launch to contact and as you can tell it contains a lot less effort....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wow, sorry i really had that one backwards. I really can't see the new swing being more powerful. Maybe more controllable with less movement?

Hmmmm, i am really confused now. Can you explain the progression and how the new swing is better? What were you 'fixing' from old to new. thanks. There looks to be a large amount of lag in the new swing the frame right before contact.

1592499049017.png

Oct 2, 2017
Wow, sorry i really had that one backwards. I really can't see the new swing being more powerful. Maybe more controllable with less movement?

Hmmmm, i am really confused now. Can you explain the progression and how the new swing is better? What were you 'fixing' from old to new. thanks. There looks to be a large amount of lag in the new swing the frame right before contact.

View attachment 18277
IMO, This still right here is the difference. of why the one in purple is stronger. Its IMO the lower and core firing, while the hands are staying back AKA Stretch/Separation using the back muscles IMO to resist

Screen Shot 2020-06-18 at 10.31.54 AM.pngScreen Shot 2020-06-18 at 10.32.47 AM.png

Last edited:
May 3, 2014
Can you lead me to those discussions? Is this a training thing, or the swing has been wrong. The issue i have is that alot of people coaching/teaching seem to be rebranding the same thing, just said in a different way. There are also things that are being tried and promoted as the next best thing. I do see a huge benefit in watching the Functional Patterns video that was connected to the funny doctors video. I see the benefit as many old training devices and systems knew how to get the big muscles and left alot left over. I look at it like an old physics teacher said. fill a glass with rocks, is it full? then pour sand into it, is it full now? then pour water into it, is it full now? throw some type of gas in there, etc... The fascia and connections and items they are finding now allow us to train better. I get the sequence and trying to activate things that aren't a big muscle is key to get the most out of the swing, i am just not hearing anything different and people seem to see what they want in any given swing where someone else see something completely different. So that's why i try to lead my DD to many of these patterns, and she needs to let me know what 'feels' right. She knows when she knocks the cover off the ball. It's up to her body to tell her, and i am just trying to get her in the right general spots. where she hasn't been close enough to even get there yet. IMO
Google Dr Emily Ferree
Podcast Farm System - Ep 85 and 86 https://thesystem.farm/episode-85-eugene-bleecker-emily-ferrees-2018-palooza-presentation/

Understanding reciprocal actions is important. She shed some serious light on that.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mizenikki1