1st time 12u tryout - pitching

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 27, 2020
My DD is a pitcher and is trying out for 12u for the first time shortly and have a couple of questions.

She still has some 10u league play/playoffs coming up and 12u tryouts shortly after (next couple weeks). We want to practice for 12u using the bigger ball (just recently started throwing the 12in ball), do you think that will affect her pitching using the 11in ball at 10u? Not sure if which ball we should use to practice. I also expect her to throw a lot in the upcoming playoff games. I’ve heard (from other parents) throwing the 12in ball may affect the way she throws the 11in ball?

Also, for the first time throwing the 12in ball, I was surprised with her accuracy (much better control with the change up too) and thought she might have a problem with the bigger ball. She does have long fingers, to her advantage and her pitching coach said if he didn’t know her and saw her throw the 12in ball, he never would’ve thought it was her first time throwing the bigger ball.

Just curious if anyone has seen there DD adjust very well to the 12in ball and almost feel like it’s a better fit than the 11in ball?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jun 19, 2016
It took my DD like 5 minutes to make the adjustment from the 11" to 12" ball, but we didn't attempt to make the change until she was done with 10U. I gave away all the 11" balls that day.

May 6, 2015
It took my DD like 5 minutes to make the adjustment from the 11" to 12" ball, but we didn't attempt to make the change until she was done with 10U. I gave away all the 11" balls that day.

I still use my bucket of 11 inch balls for tee work or soft toss with DD . . . smaller target, if she can get behind and drive 11 inch ball, she can do same on a 12 ;)

Nov 22, 2019
My daughter has been practicing with a 12in ball from 40ft and playing games with an 11in ball from 35ft no problem. Will switch back and forth practicing actually.

PC said change-up is often the biggest adjustment, but my DD’s has been better, as she has to go harder.

Only other big difference I’ve seen is FB is about 2MPH slower. Told within 8 weeks should get back to where it was.

Mar 15, 2019
California
The change in ball size shouldn't affect her since it'd be similar to training with an oversized 14" ball, but if there are only a couple of weeks left and there is a concern that it may throw her off, maybe just practice throwing from 40' instead of 35' with the 11" balls. Or only use the 12" balls for warm ups then full pitches with the 11".

Apr 10, 2021
Had the same dilemma, decided to just maintain status quo until 10u was done.

The distance and size change did affect my daughter a bit....was more of a mental limitation with her arm speed slowing down.

After her team won the championship I was ok with that decision to hold off.

The biggest change was increasing her glove size and making sure that was ready to go for the 12u season. Her pitching adjustments came along without the pressure of practicing both at the same time.

Oct 23, 2019
My 10u DDs pitching went down the toilet after practicing with a 12" ball and pitching for a 12u rec team. In fairness, I can't be sure if that's the reason or she coincidentally picked up a flaw in her mechanics, but I had her stop until the end of the season. It apparently wasn't an issue for two other pitchers on the team who also played with 12u rec teams at the same time and I'm told did very well.

Jul 27, 2020
Thanks everyone. Think I am going to have her continue to use the 11” ball until a the season is over. As much as I would like to prepare DD for 12u tryouts, I know she has a commitment to her 10u team. Also, based on the couple times she threw with the 12” ball and the positive results, hoping she can get comfortable before tryouts.

I was also going to get rid of the 11” balls after the season but someone pointed out to keep them for tee work and soft toss. Never even crossed my mind

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oct 26, 2019
Once we moved to 12U I sold all the 11” balls. I didn’t want any going back and forth (even when hitting). After a month or 2 my 10yo DD picked up a 12” ball and asked me if it was an 11. She adjusted quickly and couldn’t tell the difference anymore.

I wouldn’t switch back and forth. I would make the jump and never look back. Even when hitting IMO. When you hit an 11 it jumps off the bat better than the 12” (for obvious reasons).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad