1st practice with new team...how'd your's go?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
Had our 1st Sunday...scheduled 4 hrs....went 3hrs. all fielding... great team!!! DD= pitch/catch/SS 10UA. Got call from coach asking DD to help him with a Private tryout, bring the catching equ. last night. Was starting to wonder a little about her pitching status... not much...she nailed SS at the first practice, texted me and said "She's my SS"... He said he was keeping 4 pitchers after 1st tryout, and never even seen her pitch, so I'm getting wound up.

When we get there, we recognize a girl on the team, and another bigger girl. Turns out it is another AC coach & his DD from another town. HC has them warm up, but I can see she the one trying out can't hang throwing overhand with our 2. So I'm thinking she must be a pitcher. :{(... He never has got a look at DD pitching, and going to bring on another one...(what I was thinking) He puts AC on 1st, then lines them up, and knocks them grounders first @ SS, then moves them to 3rd... new girl can't hang at all.... HC then sends them out to left starts knocking pop ups, and starts with DD and tells her to just roll them back to home, to him...AC stays on first, but his DD the one trying out goes over and leans against the fence...I'm thinking she broke down, He starts really working our two hard...to the left, to the right...of course they did great... BOTH....after he got them good and tired, he told them to stand over on the fence. The other girl come out and now she she is all bouncy...he hits to her, she nails it, and makes a perfect throw to her Dad-AC on 1st. first....I still thinking no just roll it back to him... then same thing again... I know something is up...( I'm thinking not only is this girl the best pitcher, but she just taught us how she wants our two best to players when their in out field :mad) they did about 20 of the same...then HC has them get their helmets, and starts, firing under handed at 35'@ least 40-45mph with a sling shot pitch with the other girl on our team 1st. She has to be the best hitters I have ever seen 10U....then DD...all of a sudden DD is right with her, I'm in shock... I have never seen her hit that good. Every pitch HC throws is breaking away from them, and he has a back flip CU... Never seen a coach give REAL batting practice like this... I know he spent lotz of extra time with DD at team practice. So much that I was embarrassed... I didn't say anything about it. She is always among the best 4 and she was doing better than all but 1...(the one here now), but he was on her big time.... I had told her when we committed that HC said he was going to make her the best hitter in the state, then laughed. Then I got my attitude, and was wanting to see what DD thought about that, after he spent so much time with her... She just said OK... so I said, since He is going to be your batting coach too, I'm going to drop the other one...still just an OK.... I'm sick... she loves the other BC so much, that mom even takes her and pays... But after last night, I will have no problem staying out of it...( there is a list of people a mile long that will never believe that)...He just earned our fees from batting lessons alone... One practice and a tryout. :{)) But... she tried out for pitcher/catcher...

Next he tells DD to put on her catching gear. The other girl on our team goes out to the circle and DD warms her up. Another story, but she is fast, makes DD look real good as a catcher. The New girl can't hit nothing...about 40 pitches, he tells them to trade places... DD on the mound. ( I'm thinking man this girl is going to show us how to pitch, but only after she lets us look lame) DD went thru her full warm up, that proves she has had lessons haha, and tells them shes ready. Girl steps up, DD looks at me, and I don't signal. So DD goes high and inside, the girl jumps out of the box. This girl is a head taller then DD an the other, but she was sacred. So DD goes for outside corner, and change ups...she struck her out about 3 times. Then DD looks at me. I can tell that this is for real, the girl can't hit, so I wink...that means batting practice, let'em hit. DD always does it for the girls that can't hit as well as the top ones (won't do it for best hitters...its a battle, and most of the time she doesn't get to face them, I think, they don't want to let any confidence leak for either of them)...she really loves helping to build their coincidence. 3 meatballs in a row, still no hits. She went to coach pitch, not even windmilling, then she hit 3 times, HC called it. I'm thinking now we are really going to get it... but that was it... I shagged the balls, AC called DD to dugout and talked to her, then our other girl....HC went and talked to AC/Dad and girl trying out...they left. ( I later asked DD what was he saying, she said, just asked about school stuff...Then this was really weird, she said "He is really nice"...love at first sight... lol)

HC asks me what do you think of her, I was speechless. Then he says, We got her, they will come on with us.......????? Turns out We were trying out for Them. The girl is one of the best left fielders in our part of the country,been to nationals last two years (thats big for us...she is the first one DD will have ever been on the field with )... but she can't hit, so her Dad wants HC to fix that too. He liked DD & our other girl. Then HC calls DD over to where we are, and says,"You really did good tonight. You are on one of the best teams in the country, and I'm privileged to have you on my team...thanks for helping me out tonight.

I'm still WTF.... =whats the future??? Coach text again today, says rain in forcast for our Sunday Pratice, will be sat. @ 9:00...just let me know if you got this... Sounds like no if ands or butts. He can still pick up girls, and I'm glad he's not asking the volleyball or soccer and our LaCross stars for their vote.

EP: Also found out that the HC had come to see DD pitch this summer... now that explains some of my confusion...Why He wasn't worried about seeing her pitch at tryouts ect... here is a inning I know for sure he saw:

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2011
Had our 1st Sunday...scheduled 4 hrs....went 3hrs. all fielding... great team!!! DD= pitch/catch/SS 10UA. Got call from coach asking DD to help him with a Private tryout, bring the catching equ. last night. Was starting to wonder a little about her pitching status... not much...she nailed SS at the first practice, texted me and said "She's my SS"... He said he was keeping 4 pitchers after 1st tryout, and never even seen her pitch, so I'm getting wound up.

When we get there, we recognize a girl on the team, and another bigger girl. Turns out it is another AC coach & his DD from another town. HC has them warm up, but I can see she the one trying out can't hang throwing overhand with our 2. So I'm thinking she must be a pitcher. :{(... He never has got a look at DD pitching, and going to bring on another one...(what I was thinking) He puts AC on 1st, then lines them up, and knocks them grounders first @ SS, then moves them to 3rd... new girl can't hang at all.... HC then sends them out to left starts knocking pop ups, and starts with DD and tells her to just roll them back to home, to him...AC stays on first, but his DD the one trying out goes over and leans against the fence...I'm thinking she broke down, He starts really working our two hard...to the left, to the right...of course they did great... BOTH....after he got them good and tired, he told them to stand over on the fence. The other girl come out and now she she is all bouncy...he hits to her, she nails it, and makes a perfect throw to her Dad-AC on 1st. first....I still thinking no just roll it back to him... then same thing again... I know something is up...( I'm thinking not only is this girl the best pitcher, but she just taught us how she wants our two best to players when their in out field :mad) they did about 20 of the same...then HC has them get their helmets, and starts, firing under handed at 35'@ least 40-45mph with a sling shot pitch with the other girl on our team 1st. She has to be the best hitters I have ever seen 10U....then DD...all of a sudden DD is right with her, I'm in shock... I have never seen her hit that good. Every pitch HC throws is breaking away from them, and he has a back flip CU... Never seen a coach give REAL batting practice like this... I know he spent lotz of extra time with DD at team practice. So much that I was embarrassed... I didn't say anything about it. She is always among the best 4 and she was doing better than all but 1...(the one here now), but he was on her big time.... I had told her when we committed that HC said he was going to make her the best hitter in the state, then laughed. Then I got my attitude, and was wanting to see what DD thought about that, after he spent so much time with her... She just said OK... so I said, since He is going to be your batting coach too, I'm going to drop the other one...still just an OK.... I'm sick... she loves the other BC so much, that mom even takes her and pays... But after last night, I will have no problem staying out of it...( there is a list of people a mile long that will never believe that)...He just earned our fees from batting lessons alone... One practice and a tryout. :{)) But... she tried out for pitcher/catcher...

Next he tells DD to put on her catching gear. The other girl on our team goes out to the circle and DD warms her up. Another story, but she is fast, makes DD look real good as a catcher. The New girl can't hit nothing...about 40 pitches, he tells them to trade places... DD on the mound. ( I'm thinking man this girl is going to show us how to pitch, but only after she lets us look lame) DD went thru her full warm up, that proves she has had lessons haha, and tells them shes ready. Girl steps up, DD looks at me, and I don't signal. So DD goes high and inside, the girl jumps out of the box. This girl is a head taller then DD an the other, but she was sacred. So DD goes for outside corner, and change ups...she struck her out about 3 times. Then DD looks at me. I can tell that this is for real, the girl can't hit, so I wink...that means batting practice, let'em hit. DD always does it for the girls that can't hit as well as the top ones (won't do it for best hitters...its a battle, and most of the time she doesn't get to face them, I think, they don't want to let any confidence leak for either of them)...she really loves helping to build their coincidence. 3 meatballs in a row, still no hits. She went to coach pitch, not even windmilling, then she hit 3 times, HC called it. I'm thinking now we are really going to get it... but that was it... I shagged the balls, AC called DD to dugout and talked to her, then our other girl....HC went and talked to AC/Dad and girl trying out...they left. ( I later asked DD what was he saying, she said, just asked about school stuff...Then this was really weird, she said "He is really nice"...love at first sight... lol)

HC asks me what do you think of her, I was speechless. Then he says, We got her, they will come on with us.......????? Turns out We were trying out for Them. The girl is one of the best left fielders in our part of the country,been to nationals last two years (thats big for us...she is the first one DD will have ever been on the field with )... but she can't hit, so her Dad wants HC to fix that too. He liked DD & our other girl. Then HC calls DD over to where we are, and says,"You really did good tonight. You are on one of the best teams in the country, and I'm privileged to have you on my team...thanks for helping me out tonight.

I'm still WTF.... =whats the future??? Coach text again today, says rain in forcast for our Sunday Pratice, will be sat. @ 9:00...just let me know if you got this... Sounds like no if ands or butts. He can still pick up girls, and I'm glad he's not asking the volleyball or soccer and our LaCross stars for their vote.

A 4-hour practice??

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
Its a drive for everyone on the team.. It was scheduled 4 hr. session. This included girls getting to know each other for first time, and team meetings with parents. Girls were well warmed up, rested and watered stretched & cooled...They had a few 10-15 seating in dugout with coaches and talking & teachings ???... we parents mingled, and all talked... First time for us, and no one was asking which one is yours. Everyone trying to get off on right foot...Went good ... DD really enjoyed, can't wait for next Sat's scheduled 1.5 hrs.

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
4 hour practices 3 times a week. I don't know what could possibly be done for 12 hours a week in practice. I can't imagine what that would be like

Our new coaches seemed really excited last night also. They try to do one team bonding night every month in the fall so we might have a swimming party at the house. I won't break out my Speedo though. Hopefully she'll settle in quickly like your DD GTRH8r so I don't have to sit as far away as RD!

It think she settled down so quick because of the coach. He is great at giving them constant feedback and letting them know that errors happen and not to let one error turn into four or five because you got flustered for making one. He's not the kind of guy that puts the hook on them if they make one. Her last coach was - make an error, sit down (unless you were the favorite or a coaches DD). New coach, just wants them to play loose and she has once she practiced with them a few times. The only time I have seen the veins bulge out of his head is due to lack of effort.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2011
It think she settled down so quick because of the coach. He is great at giving them constant feedback and letting them know that errors happen and not to let one error turn into four or five because you got flustered for making one. He's not the kind of guy that puts the hook on them if they make one. Her last coach was - make an error, sit down (unless you were the favorite or a coaches DD). New coach, just wants them to play loose and she has once she practiced with them a few times. The only time I have seen the veins bulge out of his head is due to lack of effort.
Glad you have a good coach now. Our last AC would yell at the girls also when they made a mistake and then give his daughter a hug in the dugout after she did<--true story:)

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
Well we will have second practice tomorrow.... It should be even more fun. DD is pumped. I was telling my son about her hitting so good on the phone, and as I was relaying the info to him, I come to find out a little more about what HC was telling her last practice. My son who used to work at a batting cage when he was a kid, said what kinda bat, I said her regular one I guess...she said no the coach gave me one, I don't know what kind it was. I said to her don't worry I get you one like that... she said no, HC said He'll get me one that will be even better than that... He had her trying several different ones... the things you miss when your having to go way out to the fence to shag the balls. Thats the best way I have ever seen to keep me out of it...I'll never say a word as long as I have to go that far to shag most of the balls.... I'm sure he'll just tell me what to get though :{))

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Well we will have second practice tomorrow.... It should be even more fun. DD is pumped. I was telling my son about her hitting so good on the phone, and as I was relaying the info to him, I come to find out a little more about what HC was telling her last practice. My son who used to work at a batting cage when he was a kid, said what kinda bat, I said her regular one I guess...she said no the coach gave me one, I don't know what kind it was. I said to her don't worry I get you one like that... she said no, HC said He'll get me one that will be even better than that... He had her trying several different ones... the things you miss when your having to go way out to the fence to shag the balls. Thats the best way I have ever seen to keep me out of it...I'll never say a word as long as I have to go that far to shag most of the balls.... I'm sure he'll just tell me what to get though :{))

Here's the secret PC - if the HC helps perfect your DD's swing, it won't matter what kind of bat she swings - a good hitter can hit well with a whipit bat, a Walmart special, or the newest $300 "it" bat because it's all about the swing, not the bat. That's your goal. Reach it and THEN buy the "it" bat and enjoy the show.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA