1st practice with new team...how'd your's go?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 10, 2011
My DD had her first practice last night with her new team. She showed up a little nervous and was only there for about 45 minutes because of HS VB practice. Coming late didn't help because she missed the introductions and was put in the outfield immediately for drills. Basically, the coach said he wanted to get an overview of the girls to see what he had to work on with speed, technique and so forth. She did fantastic in the outfield but struggled a little at 3rd- she just seemed to rush everything but the coach said he realized she hadn't warmed up at all and he could tell some of the girls were nervous (he looked at my DD when he said that:) When it came to batting, the coach would tell them where to bunt or hit the ball. She did great bunting, but the coach told her she wouldn't be bunting much for him. When it came to hitting off the machine, she really struggled (just like in tryouts). Her form looked good but she was swinging way too early and couldn't hit most of the balls. When he started saying where to hit it, she actually started to connect and was good at hitting to where he said, but didn't seem to hit them like I'm used to seeing. Fortunately, right at the end she knocked one out of the park over center field which was the farthest hit of the night. She was very inconsistent though and very frustrated.
I was very impressed with the talent on this team and think once they get to know each other better, they will win a lot of games. The coach said he would do a few B tournaments in the fall and was considering switching to A in the spring (they took 2nd at B States and he thought the talent had improved). My DD didn't think the girls were very friendly, but she was emotional, for more than one reason, and I think coming in late made it harder. She does know one girl that is really nice but extremely quiet.
Question...why does my DD struggle so much with pitching machines? Most of the girls were hitting really well with it last night. She does so much better with live pitching.
Anyway, how did yours go?

Apr 6, 2012
We had our girls together on Sunday indoors because of rain. It was a great practice. The girls were energetic and so willing to work! We did a short introductory activity with them and then went over expectations. We have a former college player with us and she was great with the kids as well. We worked a lot of infield, outfield, and hitting. Some of the girls were quiet, but many are making connections with each other. The coaches help set that tone with encouragement by the way and using the girls' names so the others can learn them. Hitting stations went well and we have some very good hitters. After three hours, everyone was sweating!
It's normal for girls to press when they are on a new team. As things go on, your daughter will settle in. As to the pitching machines, I hate them for hitting practice. They show me very little about a hitter's capabilities. I have seen kids who were great off the machine and then suck off live pitching.
It really rejuvenates a coach to see girls so eager, excited and coachable!

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
DD had her first practice last night. Mostly an assessment type to see footwork and throwing skills. the coach instructed them on long toss and said they should be doing it twice a week. Overall I liked what I saw from the coach. He's a Freshman coach at a local school where the 18U coach is the varsity. When I saw this team over the summer I thought they looked well coached.

DD did well, met some kids and I heard some hollering out good byes to her as we left. A good sign. I believe 8 or 9 of the girls are returning 14U making for an older team.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
My DD also struggled on pitching machines. She wouldn't even get close to hitting the ball. What I think the reason was first,she wasn't use to using one. We always did live pitching. When I asked my DD way she couldn't hit off a pitching machine she said she wasn't even sure where the ball would come out. We were lucky I have access to a pitching/bat cage. So every Sunday in the morning we would go up to the cage and hit off the machine. First, I showed DD where the ball would come out. Then, which is very important I may sure I was doing the pitchers wind up as I feed the machine. This helped her with the timing of the pitches. Make sure who ever is feeding the machine does the correct pitcher motion. This is very very important if they don't it's a waste of time using the machine. Also go to a pitching/batting machine cage just so your DD gets use to hitting off a machine. I don't think hitting off a machine means you will hit live pitching or not. It seems most teams use them for practice and tryouts. So your DD does need to learn to hit off of the pitching machine.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
DD not on a tourney team, but on a 14u fallball travel team. First practice, I see it's going to be a long fallball season. Where I plan on sitting I may not be able to see the batters.

We're a couple of practices down the road now, but DD was a bumbling fool the first couple of practices. Tightened up by the third and was playing great the last practice. Didn't miss a ground ball in 2 hours of infield practice, which doesn't happen much because she always has a one or two mental errors in the course of a practice. I guess she is finally comfortable and doesn't feel like she has to be supergirl and is relaxing now.

It's going to be a tough season because fall HS sports have taken their toll on this team and we keep winding up being short. It has DD wondering if she made the right decision on the team she joined. However, she thinks the world of the girls on this team that are dedicated.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Last game is tonight and then DD is done for the year. :)

Good luck everyone on your new Teams, I know sometimes it can be hard to get going when you don’t know a lot of the Players and Coaches.

Oct 10, 2011
Our new coaches seemed really excited last night also. They try to do one team bonding night every month in the fall so we might have a swimming party at the house. I won't break out my Speedo though. Hopefully she'll settle in quickly like your DD GTRH8r so I don't have to sit as far away as RD!

Aug 31, 2011
Jawja
We haven't practiced yet, but DD is on the same team she's been on so we're cool.

Don't worry too much about the pitching machine business, as long as she's hitting live pitching, it's all good :)

Aug 26, 2011
Houston, Texas
Good so far. First time DD isn't tallest one on team...but the taller ones are at least a year older (only 3 of them are older)...seemed to do well for practice. Nerves did get her a little, but she shook them off. Funny thing though...the girl does way better at tryouts than at practice. She can handle pressure pretty well. :)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA