1st practice with new team...how'd your's go?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 21, 2010
New team for DD. A few practices in and all is good so far. Coach was aware DD played volleyball and that we would be late for practice. HC wanted to work with DD on outfield stuff after practice so we are fine with that. Great group of girls. Parents seem nice so far. I like how the HC teaches the girls by taking a quick break to go over what he wants them to do. But it's not my impression that counts. DD likes the team alot. She has an offer from a local team to play for them, but she's pretty happy with staying with the team that is about 50 minute drive from home.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Thats great my DD(14) is more of a talker. DS(16) not so much. I thought the rides to and from soccer would be great time to catch up with what was new with DS. It was like pulling teeth,now I understand why my dad got so mad at me for my stupid yes,no answers. Now I understand.

Oct 10, 2011
Just got an email saying our first tournament is in 2 weeks! Wow that's fast! Too bad I have to work though:(

Sep 18, 2011
DD is on same team but there are 7 new players (roster is set at 14). She had her first practice with her "new" team but it was all very very basic stuff - throwing mechanics and fielding positions (lots of PFPs). Absolutely no position play or hitting. They had their first games (double header) the following day and it was somewhat amusing. New players, new positions, and we needed emergency pitchers because our top two were unavailable. DD actually pitched her first game in over 13 months.

Overall, though, it was hard to watch. Tons of errors. This team just competed very well in 14U ASA/USA nationals a few weeks ago (as a 13U team) and now they seemingly have taken 10 giant steps backwards. Still won both games, but neither one was pretty. But the potential is definitely there. Hopefully we can improve rapidly because the ASA Heartland Showcase is just around the corner.

Nov 23, 2010
North Carolina
DGD is on her new/old team. She missed staying down with this team by 13 days. Her 14u team disbanded and son wanted her to stay down at 14u especially with a team she could play 3rd base some (catches most of the time) , although physically she was able. So she knows most of the girls on the team already and really enjoys playing with them. I hope they never see a pitching machine. They have 6 pitchers, six that can pitch anyway, so hopefully they will be used in practice. They have only practiced twice this fall season, one time with 5 players. They played their first tournament this weekend and placed third of ten teams, with the losses being by 1 run. I know most of the parents and they are great, they know how to act at a softball game.:) So it should be a fun team to be with.

Oct 10, 2011
Not if you QUIT your job. Solved that problem, next. I kid/joke don't quit your job.

Wish I could, but I'm the owner. I just can't afford to have many employees anymore so I work a lot of hours. What's that? You hear violins?

Oct 10, 2011
DD is on same team but there are 7 new players (roster is set at 14). She had her first practice with her "new" team but it was all very very basic stuff - throwing mechanics and fielding positions (lots of PFPs). Absolutely no position play or hitting. They had their first games (double header) the following day and it was somewhat amusing. New players, new positions, and we needed emergency pitchers because our top two were unavailable. DD actually pitched her first game in over 13 months.

Overall, though, it was hard to watch. Tons of errors. This team just competed very well in 14U ASA/USA nationals a few weeks ago (as a 13U team) and now they seemingly have taken 10 giant steps backwards. Still won both games, but neither one was pretty. But the potential is definitely there. Hopefully we can improve rapidly because the ASA Heartland Showcase is just around the corner.
I'm sure they'll turn it around soon. Especially if you have good coaching. I'm so excited to see what positions he puts our girls in, as we had 6 girls line up at short stop as their first choice (2 were pitcher though and rarely play there). My DD went to third and he said, "I was hoping to see how you did at short stop" and she said, "the lines too long and I love 3rd":)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA