1st Basemen Question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 24, 2011
I have a question about the mechanics / positioning of the 1st basemen on a pick off throw from the catcher. 1st basemen is right handed. How should the 1st basemen be positioned in order to accept the throw from catcher and make the tag?

I ask this because my DD (1st base) was told to change her positioning in her middle school game last night. It was totally opposite of what she has always been taught in travel ball. PLMK your opinions.

Oct 18, 2009
Our travel coach teaches our RH 1st basemen to play a little in front of the bag and ready to catch and sweep the glove hand back and down for a pick off attempt.

How was yours being taught?

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I played 1st base and I was so far in, that generally, that wasn't my play. But, the runner would have had to been wandering off a lot for me to take the throw. At that point, I am closer to the bag. I receive the throw, put my foot between the runner and the bag, and let them dive back into the tag.

But, that is a rare play that you won't see much at the older ages.

I prefer 2nd base to sneak in there, with RF backing her up.

If the catcher has a rocket, not many runners are going to mess with her, as the girls get older.

Jan 24, 2011
Our travel coach teaches our RH 1st basemen to play a little in front of the bag and ready to catch and sweep the glove hand back and down for a pick off attempt.

How was yours being taught?

This is how I have taught her to make the play. The "coach" told her she was turning the wrong way.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
This is how I have taught her to make the play. The "coach" told her she was turning the wrong way.

I'm not clear from the explanation which way she's turning, but if she's turning counterclockwise so her back is to 2B, its an invitation for the runner to draw a throw and take off for 2B the next time

Jan 24, 2011
I'm not clear from the explanation which way she's turning, but if she's turning counterclockwise so her back is to 2B, its an invitation for the runner to draw a throw and take off for 2B the next time

So what? If that happens , it is just a quick pivot and throw to second for an out. This is middle school ball. Not a 1st year rec league

Jan 24, 2011
Below is the answer I got from another fastpitch forum. I believe this accurately describes how the play should be made:

Right handed throwing 1B should deep step with her left foot to get back to the bag and be turning as the throw is coming to her...she makes the catch on the ball thrown from the catcher (hopefully snap throw is low and at the bag) and she makes a quick sweep tag by putting the tag down at the bag - ultimately the runner has to go to the bag therefore 1B should not reach out for the runner as that is when the runner will jump or slide around the tag.

This IMO is the correct way because turning the other way does things that you do not want.

1. It limits the reach of the 1B - if you turn glove side you do not have to reach across your body to make the tag

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd