1st Basemen Question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 24, 2011
Whatever. This is the 3rd coach on the team and she has only been at two practices and showed up for the game last night. (She wasnt there for the game last week either).

Also , I posted this on 3 different forums to get some more info so that I wouldnt be "That dad". I never told her to not do what the coach said. She had asked me about it last night after we returned home from the game.

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2011
Though , I dont agree that the 1st baseman HAS to get back with the right foot , I do agree that a swipe tag can probably be made either direction. For me (and apparently my DD) it is just more of a natural feeling play to turn to the glove side. Anyway , I really just posted this question to get some input since my daughter was a bit confused. The best I have been able to figure is that she nor the coach is "wrong" , just "different" and she will do it as the coach has instructed

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
So what? If that happens , it is just a quick pivot and throw to second for an out. This is middle school ball. Not a 1st year rec league

You never want to turn your back to the field. Whether your 1B is right or lefthanded, their feet should be in foul terrority when receiving the pick off throw from the catcher. Yes the reach is a bit longer, but they are facing the runner and can see immediately where the runner is coming back in to the bag or taking off to 2B. Typically, the 1B will be more than 1 step from the bag to start so the advised 1 deep drop step will get them nowhere near the bag. If the 1B is coming back to the bag in fair territory you run the chance of 1) obstructing the runner before you have the ball or 2) catching the ball and then blindly sweeping the glove back to the bag with your back to the runner who may be coming back or not. The 1B will end up off-balance, surprised that there's no runner and then have to move either toward the IF or OF to create a clear throwing lane to 2B and then make a good throw to get the runner who left for 2B as soon as the catcher initiated the throw to first - more often than not, the runner will be safe at 2B. Facing the field, the 1B sees the runner going, doesn't get off balance trying to make an unnecessary tag or 180-270 degree pivot, but steps inside the runner's lane and makes the throw. As 1B aren't typically known for their throwing, I'll bait the pickoff throw and take my chances every time if the 1B is turning her back to the field.

Alternatively, think about where the 3B sets up for a throw from home to 3B. Facing the field, feet in foul ground, straddling or in front of the bag. Why shouldn't 1B be the same?

You asked for opinions - I gave you one with the rationale thrown in for free.

Hope your DD has a great season - GM

Jan 24, 2011
Like I said a couple of posts ago. It probably can be done either way. Also , this is Middle school softball (not all players are Travel ball caliber). This is a play that would usually be used to get a runner that doesnt completely have here head in the game) and it isnt a play that would be used often. If a 1st baseman cant make an accurate throw to 2nd , then she shouldnt be in the Infield at all. As for rationale , i appreciate your opinion. I would however say that in your scenario , the 3B positioning allows for a nice sweep tag without reaching across the body (which is exactly what I am looking to achieve on the 1B side also)

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Like I said a couple of posts ago. It probably can be done either way. Also , this is Middle school softball (not all players are Travel ball caliber). This is a play that would usually be used to get a runner that doesnt completely have here head in the game) and it isnt a play that would be used often. If a 1st baseman cant make an accurate throw to 2nd , then she shouldnt be in the Infield at all. As for rationale , i appreciate your opinion. I would however say that in your scenario , the 3B positioning allows for a nice sweep tag without reaching across the body (which is exactly what I am looking to achieve on the 1B side also)

Simple solution, convert her to lefty and everyone's happy!

1b a step or two in front of bag (its now a bunt situation since runner on 1st, if 2 outs play back n get the batter).... is in 'ready' position, catchers snap throws at the bag. 1b cannot get across foul line, turn her body to face infield(runner), catch the ball and swipe tag across her body. Not gonna happen. If cather throws to 1st 1b has to catch n snap tag , yes lunging to her backleft.
Hopefully middle school coach will have bunt defense set here....if runner goes gun her at 2b. Not many coaches call for the throwdown to 1b, however a lot of young catchers can't fight the temptation for an 'easy' high risk pick off. On my 18u team if we see agressive jumps at 1b we on rare occasion will snap throw to 2b. 95% of the time we have bunt D...if runner steals we throw.

Mar 13, 2010
Simple answer.

First base shouldn't be taking the pick off. Second base should be there.

Feb 26, 2011
I agree with Amy. 1B has to always know exactly where the bag is and know what she has to do to get there. Which is a good tip for the 1B coach, if you see the 1B looking at the base alot (out of the corner of her eye not staring at it) it is a tell that they are going to try something. Anyways I always have the 1B put her right foot (doesnt matter if she is RH or LH) in front of the base in the center of it.
You would be surprised how many girls just freeze up or end up short of the bag because they feeling like it is being blocked but it is not (in TB also not just rec.). It is not obstruction because it is at the base and its not blocking because they still have the back half of the base to get to. I have had this done to my girls several times and questioned the ump. every time and never won. Now that we do it we have never been called for it either. Dont agree with turing your back to the runner. Let me see you do it one time and we will run every time you throw to 1B or atleast till you make an adjustment.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd