1B Mitts for All?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 19, 2011
I was intrigued by Amy in AZ's comment that she uses a first baseman's mitt for all positions. I had thought that mitts were allowed only for 1B and catcher, that everyone else had to use a glove, but evidently that has changed. I have a U12 daughter who pitches and plays infield when not pitching, and who has a birthday coming up. Why not a 1B mitt for a pitcher? Why doesn't everyone use them? Weight?

Jan 15, 2009
Midwest
Bigger pocket makes getting the ball out of the glove not as quick. Transferring the ball is a big part of being quick when fielding and then transitioning to throw.

Feb 15, 2011
FL
USSSA tournament two weekends ago and our normal 1B got hurt in warmups. Had to switch a lot of positions and our catcher went to third. As a LH she only had a 1B glove as her second glove and was told it was not allowed except at first.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
That is probably correct, except that it is allowed at catcher and 1st. But, in ASA a mitt is allowed at all positions. I own 3 of the same model (SSK) and the glove will just catch anything thrown near it. I call it my magic glove. Once I convince a little girl that it isn't too big for them, they are pleasantly surprised at what they can catch.

The softball is so big, that they have no problem getting it out of the mitt. Now, no one wears my glove in a game, because they have their own gloves, but I do loan them out to catchers, that are in need.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
I have always been a fan of teaching a kid how to play with a smaller glove. Too big becomes a crutch, and eventually a hinderance. I say stick with a 12" or 12.5 at 12u

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I am just the opposite. I like big gloves for a 12 inch ball. Your fingers only need to fit in the thumb and little finger loop. I like the additional reach, that they give.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00