14U team...increasing overhand throw speed...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 25, 2008
Pickerington Ohio
Mark,
Can you post a link to this and/or describe?

FYI,

As a note on the importance of incorporating flips into your everyday practice I just saw a girl yesterday attempt a flip from 20 ft away from 1B that went not only over 1B but over the fence and OB. Flips and dart throws are eeeaaaassssyyy but if you don't practice them regularly they can be disastourous when attempted under stress.

If you didn't find it on your own, here is the link: Jaeger Sports It is a great program. I use the stretching and strengthening for all my players but especially my catchers.

May 12, 2008
Mark,
Can you post a link to this and/or describe?

FYI,

As a note on the importance of incorporating flips into your everyday practice I just saw a girl yesterday attempt a flip from 20 ft away from 1B that went not only over 1B but over the fence and OB. Flips and dart throws are eeeaaaassssyyy but if you don't practice them regularly they can be disastourous when attempted under stress.

I just now got back to this thread. Sorry for the lack of response but I see go4 picked up the slack. I didn't check his link but you can find a bunch of his stuff on youtube as well. Good point on the flips and darts.

fan94- I may be misunderstanding you, but I dont think so. at any rate, if I understand you correctly, I totally disagree with a position player keeping their back foot in contact with the ground. I dont see how you can put full strength into your throw without the right foot(RH thrower) coming off the ground & planting ahead of the left foot on folloethrough.

The next time your at the park, watch several different players. A lot will hike that back leg up like a MLB pitcher when they release. Generally those throws are inaccurate. Not always though.
I am not saying to keep the back foot planted, of course you can't do that but to let it slide forward sometimes coming off the ground but not all the way around like the MLB pitcher.
Throwing from the outfield, long distance or perhaps a weaker player should let the leg come around. Also, I notice those guys on that Jaegers long toss video keep the back foot down until they get into the outfield. Not trying to start a new technique here, just something I have noticed over the years and many many games watching.
Bottom line, if the kid has an accurate, strong throw leave it alone. If she is overthrowing a lot give this a try, it might help.

Sep 6, 2009
State of Confusion
The next time your at the park, watch several different players. A lot will hike that back leg up like a MLB pitcher when they release. Generally those throws are inaccurate. Not always though.

One of the tricks in pitching baseball is to point the glove toward the catcher as you throw the ball, keep it up and in front of you as long as possible. This keeps you from dropping the shoulder, which will cause the body to over-rotate and make the throw go wide and down.

One of the tricks in pitching baseball is to point the glove toward the catcher as you throw the ball, keep it up and in front of you as long as possible. This keeps you from dropping the shoulder, which will cause the body to over-rotate and make the throw go wide and down.

Hey Mud,
That is very true. That is true for fastpitch pitching as well. You gotta stay in line with your target. Some call it the "K" position in drills. The same would be true for making a throw across the infield, gotta maintain a target. What I was concerned with is the fact that so many kids overthrow high when they let the back leg raise up and over vs. dragging on the ground for those infield throws.
Anyway, somehow we got away from the original topic of helping a kid gain arm strength like SnocatzDad was asking for. Although accuracy is good to have with arm strength!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharonastokes