14U Swing Assesment?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 30, 2013
Binghamton, NY
Hitter is making adjustment with the body after the swing is launched(my launch). Body should/is making the adjustment prior to swing launch.

Not sure what you mean here.

For my DD BOTH pitches are to just about the same location and at the same speed.
The Cabrera examples you posted are a low pitch and a high pitch location.

What is lacking in the DD vids, exactly?

May 30, 2013
Binghamton, NY
I would tell her to stay down in her legs longer. She comes out of her legs at contact. Loses some of that ground force reaction. I also like to see some type of negative move early. I like hitter to get into there back butt check slowly and early and stride slow. She looks susceptible to off speed and fastballs away

All of this is very insightful.

In the past, a "negative move" resulted in more of an all back-all forward swing,
so we tried a new focus to try and "pre-load" into the hip within her stance, and let the "coil pressure" felt at the ground drive her forward.
Not saying she is good at this, but that is the intent, for now.

I agree that her move forward/stride is sort of jerky and too sudden. Over the Winter, we started to try and work on slowing down that move a bit, and develop the feeling of "riding" that rear side forward. Made a little progress, and then HS season started.

Off-speed, she usually can surprisingly adjust to.
But fastball away, is a struggle for her at times. She usually gets a barrel on it, but more of a reach, with a "wrtisty" swing. Results in bloopy hits that clear the infield barley, or slicing pop-ups to the 1B, or shallow RF. This is a focus for us to learn: how to go oppo with power. She is pretty much a dead-pull hitter right now.

May 30, 2013
Binghamton, NY
Much improved., The effort level during her ‘load’ portion is over endulged. Which causes the downstream posture issues she has. Which in turn makes her drag the barrel a bit.

Happens a lot when kids are told ‘it’s your LOAD’. They naturally think more or harder is better.

Thanks for the comment, and I agree.
Her pre-stride "load" needs to become more controlled.
Right now, she is pretty jerky-gangly with many moving parts.

May 30, 2013
Binghamton, NY
She does loose the tilt and comes out of her posture, straightens up (torso comes out of it's posture).

Thanks for your comment.

This has been an on-going point of focus for us (take a look at older vids in this thread, I think we have made a little progress?)
If you have suggestions for drills that might help develop a feel for better posture, I'm all ears.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Look FP,

I don’t think I have misrepresented what TM says or does. Does he not swing from 1 leg in his demos. Does he not turn the barrel from behind as fast as he can? Does he not claim this to be what the greats do? Is it what they say they do? Or is it what they do? Video of AJ says NO. Really AJ isn’t done learning ? 3years? 😆 TM teaches clinics all the time. Teaches it in 3 hrs.

This is a debate/discussion board. I will debate without getting personal.Like I have said before, insulting the content is sometimes part of it. When Epstein or Yeager or Ebey was ‘envogue’ did TM discredit? All the time. Consider me his Karma. And I’m not selling anything! There were many inconsistencies that you refused to see. So I did show you. On both sites. Core goes with the hands. You ignored it.

Sorry to hear you don’t like what I have to say. You know you don’t have to read my posts. Ignore me. Or debate me. Don’t tell me what to post. Or how to post it. I’m well within forum rules.

‘Hey FP, lets talk’.

‘Ok W=W, as long as you say what I want to hear’.

‘ umm’... ‘nvm’

Carry on FP. Put me on ignore.

Pretty much what I expected. You are blaming me for ignoring things, yet you completely ignored the bold in my most recent post below. Typical...

I was going to send you a PM, but decided to post this here in the open instead. When you break down a clip and focus on "your thoughts", I enjoy the posts. I think you have a lot of interesting ideas, and some of your thoughts are intriguing. It's when you start with your "campaign" that I get disappointed. I realize you are doing this for a reason, but the reason does not make any sense to me at all. Insert dead horse... I don't even mind comparing one theory to another, as long as the descriptions of each are accurate.
[/QUOTE]

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Thanks for your comment.

This has been an on-going point of focus for us (take a look at older vids in this thread, I think we have made a little progress?)
If you have suggestions for drills that might help develop a feel for better posture, I'm all ears.

One thing you can try is to swing with the head down. You don't want to force it, but since the head is rising (due to the body/torso actions) keeping it down might help.

May 30, 2013
Binghamton, NY
One thing you can try is to swing with the head down. You don't want to force it, but since the head is rising (due to the body/torso actions) keeping it down might help.

Bad camera angle, but here is a nice hit from a HS game this past week.
Watching her head level, specifically, it appears she doesn't rise-up into contact, like in the recent batting machine pics I posted earlier this week. Pitch location was low.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Watching her head level, specifically, it appears she doesn't rise-up into contact, like in the recent batting machine pics I posted earlier this week. Pitch location was low.

corlay,

I agree the camera angle is not the best. Those dang umpires always seem to be in the way. But overall I thing there are some definite improvements in her swing. You have received some pretty good advice from some other posters.

Jun 8, 2016

Nice hit. It would seem she needs to get her mini "forward press" going a bit earlier so she doesn't have rush her load/pullback as much...slow and early, slow and early JMHO of course :D

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa

Yeah it looks like her head stays down just fine in that swing.

That's what I wanted, not a forced head down, just keeping it down like in the game swing.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish