14U Swing Assesment?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 30, 2013
Binghamton, NY
Yeah it looks like her head stays down just fine in that swing.

So...

Everyone on here takes the same "optimal" vid of HL swings,
and they get passed around like hot-cakes....

BUT... with so many moving parts and variables,
how many of these player's game swings look like the one that has received the DFP Stamp of Approval?

My point is - when evaluating a swing,
at least 5-6 examples is probably warranted, before making gross generalizations?

In the case of DD, I do have enough vid evidence of her lifting up into contact that it is a bona-fide issue.
This swing looks good. Need to amass a bigger sample size to determine if some of the issues that have been identified are isolated to "cage work" (entirely possible), or if this game swing is a pleasant aberration (also entirely possible), or just maybe she is making actual progress (geeze I hope so)

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
So...

Everyone on here takes the same "optimal" vid of HL swings,
and they get passed around like hot-cakes....

BUT... with so many moving parts and variables,
how many of these player's game swings look like the one that has received the DFP Stamp of Approval?

My point is - when evaluating a swing,
at least 5-6 examples is probably warranted, before making gross generalizations?

In the case of DD, I do have enough vid evidence of her lifting up into contact that it is a bona-fide issue.
This swing looks good. Need to amass a bigger sample size to determine if some of the issues that have been identified are isolated to "cage work" (entirely possible), or if this game swing is a pleasant aberration (also entirely possible), or just maybe she is making actual progress (geeze I hope so)

Great post!!! And mostly game or live pitching is my personal preference. I use video often when working with students, but I never video tee swings.

May 30, 2013
Binghamton, NY
When practicing, I like to always have real-world feedback to the batter,
when taking tee swings or front toss.
Sure, when in the cage, or hitting into a close-range net,
you can somewhat tell if the ball was struck well,
but seeing the result in the context of an actual ball field is hard to argue with.

Last night, we were working on a few bad habits that have creeped back into her game swing these last few weeks.
After a few rounds, I had the idea for a challenge: can you park one from the tee?
We've never tried it before, and really didn't know what to expect.
Third ball hit successfully made it over the fence.
(we were hitting from the grass to the side of HP. It rained a few hours before and the batter's box was a little soft/slick)

Still working on general issues with her swing, and it's an ongoing process...
But little fun "victories" like this do help to sustain the enthusiasm for practice.

May 12, 2016
but seeing the result in the context of an actual ball field is hard to argue with.

Last night, we were working on a few bad habits that have creeped back into her game swing these last few weeks.
After a few rounds, I had the idea for a challenge: can you park one from the tee?
(we were hitting from the grass to the side of HP. It rained a few hours before and the batter's box was a little soft/slick)

But little fun "victories" like this do help to sustain the enthusiasm for practice.

That's awesome! My DD's hits off the tee are brutal, they don't go anywhere. Great angle, I will post one of my DD from behind.. maybe that will give us some clues. Way to go, looks like she's well on her way!!! How big was the field, 200ft?

May 24, 2013
So Cal

Nice job attacking from inside!

May 24, 2013
So Cal
That's awesome! My DD's hits off the tee are brutal, they don't go anywhere. Great angle, I will post one of my DD from behind.. maybe that will give us some clues. Way to go, looks like she's well on her way!!! How big was the field, 200ft?

Video from behind can reveal a lot. Definitely worth doing on a regular basis.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
1558733542129857.gif

tumblr_ps12n5Ktoh1usf292o1_250.gif

tumblr_ps12poavUS1usf292o1_250.gif

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go_Ask_Mom