14U How much do you coach from the bench..........

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 19, 2010
while the kids are on the field? (offense and defense)

Are you moving your defensive players into different positions with every batter? Are you telling them where to make the play? Are you yelling to them while a ball is in the air at whose ball it is? Do you tell them where to stand in the box or to correct their stance? Or do you let them learn from their mistakes, then coach them between innings.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
I try to do as little as possible. I like them to learn the game, and learn to communicate with one another. If you're always running things from the bench, no one else gets a chance to become a leader on the field either. I tell them practice time is my time; game time is their time.

That being said, I will occasionally call set plays or defenses if the situation warrants it. I will remind them of the situation, and whether we're willing to trade a run for an out. On offense I give signs that determine the strategy, but they have a green light to bunt or slug bunt on their own if they see an opportunity. Baserunners don't have to wait for a steal sign to steal, especially if they recognize an opportunity such as a ball heading into the dirt. Woe unto them if they miss a sign, though.

As for correcting mistakes, it depends on the situation. Sometimes I'll give them the correction right after the problem happens. Other times I'll wait until the inning is over and take them aside. Guess it depends on the nature of the issue and the nature of the player. It's not an exact science.

Jul 26, 2010
I agree with Ken this.

I generally never "coach" batters, other then making sure to correct if they miss a sign for whatever reason. Hitting is all about confidence, seeing the ball, and hitting the ball. Any corrections on their hitting motion need to be made in practice. I take notes, and fix it in practice.

Defensibly I'm more active. I'll call defensive positions based on a batter, but it's mostly tuned to outfield. Infield has their set defensive positions based on outs/bases occupied, ect. I try my best to bite my tongue and let mistakes happen so we can fix them. I feel there's more to be learned from making a mistake then from being coached through a perfect game. I'm not a college coach, or even an 18 gold coach or HS coach, my job is to teach not to win.

-W

Oct 19, 2009
beyond the fences
Normally, my pitcher and catcher keep an eye on the defense.
On offense, I only correct if I see the stance wider than normal,
or a glaring difference from the norm. We are in general a quiet
coaching staff in the 14U we allow the girls to play their game

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I agree with Ken, but you have to teach the process. The kids aren't going to know what they are supposed to do unless they are taught. So, I'll be more involved at the beginning of the season than at the end. I believe in teaching the process.

I ask questions, rather than tell them what to do. "Suzy, how many outs? Where you going with the ball? Or are you saving that for later at the Dairy Queen?" or, "Hey, catch, what should the infield be doing with a runner on 3rd? Oh, really? Do you think you should tell Katy that she should be playing in?"

Pretty soon, they are running the game, and I'm watching to make sure they are going through the correct process. If you've got the right catcher and SS, you only have to give them a gentle kick in the rear once in a while.

Feb 3, 2011
10u rec here, and although I may give a player instructions in the on-deck circle, I don't like talking to the batters at all once they step to the plate. The only time I'll say anything is if they're not loading in preparation to swing. I don't care if the last 4 batters saw only 1 strike total. I want them ready to swing on every single pitch.

I root for my pitchers, but if one is struggling, I'll just calmly remind her to relax and 'find your zone'. If she's laboring, I'll ask whether she's ok, and that's it.

I move the defenders as needed based on game situation and the batter. The field captain is responsible for calling the play, however. Only my experienced players get that job in games, but I try giving the others that opportunity during practice. They haven't seen many hits this season, but my team plays terrific defense on their own.

coachtucc

Banned
May 7, 2008
A, A
I have to agree that you coach more in the beginning of the season or if the team is new but the players definitely need to know what to do after some time. I'll position players and let my captain call plays after they have shown me they can do it!

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I don't coach much from the bench. I might remind an OF, not to catch a long foul ball, etc. From the 3rd base coaches box, I remind the runners, whether they have to run, or can wait on the throw, etc.

Now, from the stands, I coach and yell the whole time. j/k

Sep 17, 2009
Between innings while things are still fresh is a great time for one on one teaching opportunities...I think that's true at any age. I actually don't think a coach can do that too much.

While the inning is going on, I agree, it's a great goal to get the players to understand the game, move into shading or defensive play positions together and understand play calls from the bench without reminders of what they mean : >

Mar 28, 2011
Well, it looks like I am in the minority here. I coach 10-U and am very vocal on both sides of the game, offense and defense. I find when I keep their heads in the game they are much more prepared to execute the proper play. I always am positioning my defense and am right much more often than wrong. I make sure that they know the situation and their options. I tell my catcher to squeeze on two strike situation. I tell my batters when they swing out of the strike zone, when their lunging, when they’re dropping their hands, what the count is. I tell the base runners how many outs, freeze or run dependent on situation, watch for pass ball, take your lead, pick me up around the base, etc. etc.
I don’t suppose I will have to keep doing this as they get older and more experienced. But currently I think it’s a great deal of help to keep their heads in the game. I have seen strong positive results in doing so.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish