13 yr old - to pitch or not to pitch?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 21, 2009
My 13 yr old has been pitching for three years now and is about average as far as speed and accuracy. She is a big, strong girl that does have potential as a pitcher but this year her batting has really come around. A local college player worked with her this winter and now my daughter is crushing balls and rarely striking out.

Although I think we can get her to become a solid pitcher I believe her hitting skills will always be above her pitching skills. During her last game on the mound it was hot out and by the third inning she was soaked in sweat and mentally checked out. Consequently her at bats were not that good. When she is not pitching her at bats appear to be much better.

I have mentioned to her that I think we should not pitch anymore and just play a different position and focus on hitting but she is adamant about continuing to pitch.

Any advise on what I should do?

Thanks,
Pat

It's hard to tell but at some point it should be obvious that she is just not at the same level as the rest of the good pitchers in her age group, it does not sound like that is the case yet...what does her pitching coach think (hoping they would be honest)?? Is she the #1 pitcher on the team? or is she the back up #3 pitcher? how is she performing against the better teams at tournaments?

Both aces in the WCWS did both so you know it's possible but not usually the norm.

Carly

Pitching Coach
May 4, 2012
Pittsburgh
I think you should ask her and let her do what she wants. If the main problem is that she struggles with her stamina when she does both in the same game, and she really wants to continue pitching, my advice would be to get her with a strength trainer rather than quit pitching. Whether she remains a pitcher in the long run or not, beginning a strength training program now will help all aspects of her game no matter what.

Oct 22, 2009
I think at 13 she maybe too young to settle on just hitting, especially if she wants to pitch. A lot can happen over the next few years with her pitching and her hitting, I'd say let her go on doing what she wants.

I had a pitching student once that started late, didn't start till she was 14. Right away she was good, throwing mid-50's. But she was a heck of a hitter. Her dad made the decision for her that you did and she quit pitching and focused on hitting.
When she began going to exposure tournaments she struggled to find a school, seems like there were a lot of great hitters out there. Also she only had a few opportunities to show her stuff, some scouts didn't stay to watch too many AB's.
She finally got an offer from a D2 2 states away. Could she had more to offer them if she could pitch as well? We just don't know.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
I think you should ask her and let her do what she wants. If the main problem is that she struggles with her stamina when she does both in the same game, and she really wants to continue pitching, my advice would be to get her with a strength trainer rather than quit pitching. Whether she remains a pitcher in the long run or not, beginning a strength training program now will help all aspects of her game no matter what.

What Carly said. Despite what many people seem to believe these days, she isn't playing softball to help her with college. She's playing because she loves the game. If she wants to pitch let her pitch. In my experience, really wanting to pitch no matter what is 90% of the battle. Too many kids do it for the wrong reasons -- parental pressure, want the glory but not the work, things like that.

Help your daughter follow HER dreams.

Jul 1, 2010
Thanks for the reminder to us all Ken. I know I would be much happier if DD gave up pitching and concentrated on hitting and fielding, but you are right it is HER dream and HER sport, not mine.

Jun 11, 2012
California
Does she have a secondary defensive position? Push her to get defensive reps there also. And, hopefully not just at 1B. Keeping her defensive skills up will give her coaches more options to keep her in the game if she's not pitching.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooneyham6877