12U swing analysis

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

R

RayR

Try a little bit more of this - otherwise I think she will be hitting plenty this coming year...good hands...

Williams.gif

Mar 14, 2011
Silicon Valley, CA
MTS I think FFS asked you this once but I am curious why you like that clip so much. Like Pujols, this player is able to generate a tremendous amount of bat speed with minimal lower body movement. Most players cannot duplicate that sort of a swing, IMO.

May 13, 2008
MTS I think FFS asked you this once but I am curious why you like that clip so much. Like Pujols, this player is able to generate a tremendous amount of bat speed with minimal lower body movement. Most players cannot duplicate that sort of a swing, IMO.

I don't want to speak for MTS as he is more than capable, but I think he is just advising that the hitter replicate this lower body motion for the finish. The clip above is not even a full swing; the clip starts just after heal plant, if I'm not mistaken.

R

RayR

Mr T - I think she has a lot of lower body movement.....most players cannot do it because they don't train that way....it takes time, but IMO if you can a player to turn on the middle even close to what Nikki Williams is showing you will see a vast improvement....

We have some hitters start pre loaded into the front leg already shifted....then coil/shift back and then uncoil/shift forward to start the swing....it takes some getting used to and some rhythm.....but the results are amazing....because they are powering the swing with the core/middle of the body....we have them learn this by swinging with the back heel never in contact with the ground.

First we kill them with getting the front heel down so they can walk off the back heel....get rid of the spinning....then we add in more weight shift ala Nikki Williams....and let them put their own stamp on it....meaning that Williams is a model or blueprint....

R

RayR

Her front shoulder being able to stay in as long as it does is a result of clearing her hips so aggressively (her shift). From the front I am sure she would show a more bent over posture....if she was too vertical it would be a problem....when our players try and shift and drop their back shoulder (don't keep their front shoulder in) it's a mess of a swing....

She batted .364 collecting 56 hits in 154 at bats with 14 home runs, 42 runs, 12 doubles, one triple and 56 RBIs last year for Washington....obviously it works for her....

Had 2 players tonight work on pre shifting keeping the front shoulder in....works like a charm when they don't leak the shoulder....not a game swing (maybe a 2 strike swing) - but a good training swing to turn on the core....

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2009
MTS, it looks like "walking off the back leg" could result in a hitter hitting "out over the front leg", even in a good hitter like Williams.

I understand what the concept is trying to counteract (in terms of as you say "killing" spinning) but the weight shift seems early.

I've always liked the cue of "the swing puts the front foot down/weights the front foot." Williams seems to weight it then swing.

Thoughts? Tks.

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2012
Your DD is swaying into a soft front side, Needs to think about hitting against a stiff front side.Compare her front leg to other videos at contact. Not just the bend but the angle.There will be a weight shift on the stride but after the stride you do not want to leak forward.

Crackabat

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors