12U swing analysis

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
This swing needs rebuilt from the ground up. I can say I have never seen a girl's back foot do that. I would much rather have it squish the bug, than turn sideways and drag.

I would like to be able to see, what the pitcher's position is, while the batter is finally getting to her set position.

Also, she needs to understand weight shift and feel how that relates to her overhand throw.

R

RayR

looks like she made a very good adjustment on a low inside pitch. Definitely a swing to build upon.

IMO the back foot is a reaction to making the inside adjustment, but would like to see another pitch location to be positive about it.

Looks like she buiilds up a good amount of lag in the bat head. Hands stay inside pretty well (big reason why she creates the lag she does)

You dont see too many 12u players hitting the ball in that location (at the knees / inside)

Jul 21, 2008
I think the bat is in a great launch position and she has a good hand path and stays connected very well.

Couple of things to look at .....

She needs more coil with the front hip to really get the lower half involved more
She is striding flat footed
At contact front leg should be straight not bent as in the video
Needs more extention thru contact and follow thru....try TCB balls

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Agree with MTS in that I'd like to see some more game swings. There may be a simple loading adjustment that could be made to the rear leg that would benefit her and correct the issue people are pointing at with the rear foot.

Mar 14, 2011
Silicon Valley, CA
Sort of thinking along the lines of Dan. Her stance is good with one exception and her setup is very good. But from there she doesn't generate an explosive swing which is a shame because she has done stance and setup better than most softball players.

The one thing about her stance is her wrists are very bent and the bat is almost touching her sternum. I thought this was going to be bad, but they when she strides/loads she gets to a very good position. But still, I wonder if straightening the wrists and getting the bat back on the back shoulder more might help with the swing. Maybe maybe not.

She tilts and therefore at least turns her torso and probably a little hip coil which is more than most girls do. But then she fires her hips and hands together. And when Dan mentions extension I think this is the most critical thing right now is that she breaks her wrists while her arms are still very bent.

She is close, just about hips before hands and whipping the bat properly, extending after contact. I would examine her grip too for sure as that might be contributing to the slow barrel action.

Aug 31, 2010
Tallmadge, Ohio
Thanks all! Always helps to have a fresh set of eyes. She is always looking to try and improve and you know how it is it usually works better when it don't come from dad.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SecOnd in Comand