12U swing analysis

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Your DD is swaying into a soft front side, Needs to think about hitting against a stiff front side.Compare her front leg to other videos at contact. Not just the bend but the angle.There will be a weight shift on the stride but after the stride you do not want to leak forward.

Crackabat

A soft front leg creates several issues. Besides the power leakage, it also does not prevent the head from moving forward DURING the swing (i.e., after heel plant). Tracking to hit a ball hard is difficult enough when the head is stationary, let alone moving!

R

RayR

Rich - sure - a hitter can certainly lunge "walking off the back leg" if the front heel doesn't plant early enough....

This hitter is moving her whole body forward with front foot in the air....all forward...no weight shift from the middle....

When learning this - we get the front heel down early so there is no "all forward" move....

The Niki Williams BP clip is low effort....her game swings that I have seen do not look like the BP swing....maybe the speed of the pitch is less and she is reaching a bit. Or maybe she is working on hitting out in front....no idea - just guessing - but her game swings do not look like this BP swing except that she is using her middle to shift/transfer her weight...

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
Actually I think the swing in the OP video is better than the one in the new video. In the first one she has good posture and tilt, she stays balanced and turns well, she rotates around her head. In her new swing she sways into the ball.

I think that you should look very closely at her grip, in both videos it is hard to see exactly how she holds the bat. I would guess that because of her high right elbow she has rotated her grip past the point where the punching and door knocking nuckles line up. When she swings she lets her top hand dominate the swing by gripping the bat tightly, thus she ends up with a funky follow through with a collapsed left wrist/flying left elbow. Check her hands/wrists at the ready and launch positions. The back of both wrists cannot be flat, one or the other has to be bent significantly or both have to bent a little. It looks like the bottom hand wrist is flat, if so the top hand wrist needs to have a significant bend in it or the hands will be misaligned and not work together.

Here is AP, high right elbow, flat bottom hand wrist, severely bent or cocked top hand wrist.

http://csdscustomcards.files.wordpress.com/2011/02/stl-p5-albert-pujols-front.jpg

Last edited: