12U Rec. Practice Schedule

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Our first Team practice is Saturday, followed by practice every weekday for the next 2 weeks. After that “we will figure out our practice schedule”.

Practicing every weekday is a little bit more then we signed up for. Like the coaches commitment but Team practice every day?

Even in TB do Teams practice that much?

DD also practices outside of the Team practices; this is not supposed to be a full time job for her.

Jan 25, 2011
Well,I remember as a kid playing baseball everyday,all day until you had to go home out behind the grade school or in the back yard.I never felt like it was a job.Thats why, if you look at MLB some many players from other countries south of the U.S.,I dont think you would hear those kids complain.Living in the northern states,when spring hit you couldn't wait to hit the field.If it rained!I would be crushed,even as an adult just practicing slowpitch if it was raining I was bummed out.I know not all kids are a like, but even my dd wants to be around a ball field,since she is out for the year,she is the score keeper/manger for the HS team and will be for her TB team.She has been going crazy,just wanting to play.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
My 12U rec team practices 6 days a week until the season starts. Once the season starts, we practice every day we don't have a game. Out of the 8 teams in our division, including mine, 5 other teams are the same way. Obviously, all of the girls cannot make all of the practices and I don't penalize them for this. My girls always look forward to practices. Not only do I try and make it both instructive and fun, I usually treat the team once a week at the local DQ, snow cone shack or an Italian Ice place.

Because of all the practicing we do, 98% of all girls that make the select teams come from our 6 teams. These teams go on to compete in local tournaments and they usually win them. They will also play some A tournaments if they are local and do pretty decent for a rec league with no TBers.

DD's TB team practices 3 times a week. The only reason they don't practice more is because several players on the team live a minimum of an hours drive away and one that is 2 hours away. A majority of the girls on this team other than those live approximately 30 minutes away.

And I agree with Nano. If DD isn't practicing or playing a game herself, she wants to be at the ball fields watching the other teams practice or playing.

Last edited:
May 7, 2008
Tucson
That is only 10 practices before you have to start games. I would embrace it. Many teams only get one or two practices a week.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
Boy, what is the League under Rec. that we can sign up for?

LOL... I feel our area is "unique" in it's attitude towards sports. Up until the 70's, the main industry around here was either Steel mills or a GM plant. Very few people from our area went beyond a high school education because they could go and make a good living at one of the mills or get into GM. Because of this, the Mahoning Valley, as our area is called, was very dedicated to, and took great pride in their high school sports. Even 40 years later with all of the mills closed except for one, little has changed in their attitude towards their high school sports. The Mahoning Valley is known for producing very good teams in various sports and many rivalries have formed with schools across state as well as local ones. This puts a lot of pressure on all of the younger rec organizations (whether it's football, softball, etc. etc.) to turn out very good athletes with skills to feed into the local high schools. Therefore, our rec leagues are extremely competitive whether they are in-house leagues or not and the coaches, kids and parents all expect to do well in their chosen sport. Thus, the practice schedule.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Our first Team practice is Saturday, followed by practice every weekday for the next 2 weeks. After that “we will figure out our practice schedule”.

Practicing every weekday is a little bit more then we signed up for. Like the coaches commitment but Team practice every day?

Even in TB do Teams practice that much?

DD also practices outside of the Team practices; this is not supposed to be a full time job for her.

Every weekday in rec ball!? When do they have time for tb practice?

I have rec practice twice a week IF we can get a field to practice on. Then with dance, soccer, tb, band, homework, and etc and etc, I am lucky to have 8 out of 12 show for rec practice.

We practice tb 3 times a week.

Jan 12, 2011
Vienna, VA
Our rec league has field practices 2x a week pre-season 1x week after games start. We also have batting cage time 1x a week. We would never have enough fields to allow teams to practice more than that.

Jul 26, 2010
Pretty normal.

It's rec ball, so they can't kick you off the team for missing practice, but please try to look at it from both sides of things. The coach is trying to do the most with the time available before the season begins, I'm sure he has the best interest of the team in mind and isn't practicing just to ruin your TV schedule.

-W

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
Everyone says the Rec kids play poorly, so why aren't they better with all that practice? Seems to me some bad habits are getting ingrained. I saw it when they moved up to my travel teams. Perhaps it is a scheduling issue, trying to get 3 months of practice in 4 weeks.

Not my team nor my league. I think even you might be impressed with the quality of play here in our rec league.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChippyNole