12U Rec. Practice Schedule

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 3, 2011
We have rec practice twice a week for 4-5 weeks prior to the start of the season and then we drop down to once a week. The 1-hour pregame is a mini practice session as well. I also provide an open workout session for anyone in the league (8u-and-older) who wants more practice and we plan to offer weekly skills clinics starting in April.

We have an additional get-together most weeks for the rec girls on our TB team. It's going to be a recurring theme for me this year and likely next year as well, but my buddy and I are doing everything we can to keep these more experienced girls interested in sticking with rec ball.

I can't tell you guys what the magic number is, but while I expect my rec players to go play catch multiple times a week, I would not do 5-6 days a week of organized team practices. Even our all-stars and TB teams will practice at most 3 times a week.

KevinC, you make a good point about field time coming at a premium. With so many TB teams around here, there's significant competition for them. By keeping our TB team affiliated with the rec league, we have the advantage of getting as much field time as we want at no additional cost in summer and fall, though.

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
please try to look at it from both sides of things. The coach is trying to do the most with the time available before the season begins, I'm sure he has the best interest of the team in mind and isn't practicing just to ruin your TV schedule.

-W

I did not mean to say anything bad about the coach, sorry if it came across that way.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
Pretty normal.

It's rec ball, so they can't kick you off the team for missing practice, but please try to look at it from both sides of things. The coach is trying to do the most with the time available before the season begins, I'm sure he has the best interest of the team in mind and isn't practicing just to ruin your TV schedule.

-W
6 days a week practice is normal? For college sure I can see that, for 12-U rec softball? that's one dedicated coach. I tip my hat to him (or her).

I'm not sure how my kids would get homework done if I tried to run a practice 6 days a week and I know my marrige would be in trouble if I tried to get that by my wife.

That said, I could easily see myself out on the field 6 days a week if I hit the mega-millions. :)

Feb 19, 2012
West US
Rec in our league u12 was 2x a week, plus optional pitcher/catcher. U14 tb is 3x week now plus p/c, and we work hitting and throwing outside of those. When she no longer wants to practice we stop, but I keep it fun and social for our personal work time.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
Every weekday in rec ball!? When do they have time for tb practice?

I have rec practice twice a week IF we can get a field to practice on. Then with dance, soccer, tb, band, homework, and etc and etc, I am lucky to have 8 out of 12 show for rec practice.

same here. and I would add Lacrosse and Figure skating to the mix.
Actually, fields are in short supply so we have to sign up for fields and are not allowed to sign up for more than 1 per week .

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChippyNole