12u problems with high pitch-please help

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 12, 2015
First, I want to point out that your DD seems to be having a blast out there. That most important aspect of this sport is often overlooked in the quest to develop a great pitcher or a high level swing.

That said, I'm going to be completely honest in my assessment. I'm not trying to be rude or anything, just honest.

Currently, your DD is displaying virtually none of the characteristics of a mechanically sound pitch. Her drive mechanics are non-existent, meaning she is simply stepping forward off the rubber.

The arm circle shows a fairly stiff arm and a pushing release.

In short, she needs to start at the beginning if your goal is develop a strong pitcher. If your goal is for her to play local rec league and have a great time with friends, then disregard the following.

Your topic says "problems with high pitch". I assume this to mean she is often throwing high to very high. The reason for that is simple: She isn't throwing the ball to the catcher, she is tossing it. Much like you would underhand toss a set of keys across the room to another person. This naturally leads to a high arcing throw.

From what I see there isn't any one thing to fix. She needs a rebuild from the top to the bottom.

Start here: https://www.discussfastpitch.com/threads/i-r-in-the-classroom.10321/

Get rid of the catcher and have her throw into a net or tarp about 10 feet away. Start at the beginning with the "lock it" drill and slowly progress to full arm circles, all from a stabilized position. Don't full pitch and don't use a pitcher rubber. Once she is showing good brush and whip with full arm circles from a stabilized position, then you move onto

Drive mechanics: https://www.discussfastpitch.com/threads/drive-mechanics.18135/

Start the two step drill, continuing to pitch into a net or tarp about 10 feet away. Now you are doing full pitch motions, but the focus isn't on speed or accuracy. It is on good, solid mechanics. Once she looks good throwing into a tarp, then start throwing to a catcher.

Some people will disagree with separating the arm circle and drive mechanics, but I've always been an arm first guy.

I opened by saying your DD looks like she is having a blast. Make sure she continues to have a blast. That might be the most important ingredient.

Best of luck.

May 26, 2019
Thanks for feedback. She is already pitching games in a travel league and had played 4 games already. So she definitely wants to be above the rec league.

I will have her starting at the lock the elbow drill and go from there. She has an old mattress to throw into.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
I agree with Dneeld - she is having a blast and there are some things to really like. I always looks for athleticism and body control and there is a lot of that there. The machanics are lacking, but she is still getting some results - so once she gets better technique it can fall into place fast. My guess is that she will find the drills feel pretty natural to her and will translate pretty quickly into her motion.

Apart from the IR thread and the drive mechanics thread (read everything Boardmember and Javasource write on pitching on those threads), I always refer back to the slow motion video of Amanda Scarborough pitching. I wouldn't teach her pre-motion - a lot of that is style anyway - but everything from when she starts moving forward is basically as good of a motion as you will see.

Massive leg drive, immensely loose arm, whip acceleration through release , fully loose follow through, great resistance.... You can match up a lot of the IR and drive mechanics directly to this video and it helps you see what your daughter SHOULD be striving to look like.

Oct 4, 2018
Agreed.

She's got passion, desire and is having fun. Great start.

I know this is an easier-said-than-done answer, but get her a pitching coach. There's nothing I've seen that can improve her pitching faster than getting weekly lessons with the right coach.

I'm lucky that I can afford this and have it near my house. Even with all the great advice here and online, we'd be nowhere near where we are today without a coach.

Sep 29, 2014
My sentiments exactly...she looks like she if having TONS of FUN and is really happy to be pitching, now the true test is going to have to come can she turn all that excitement into commitment to learning how to pitch with sound mechanics....I hope so.

The thing you have identified already is she is not consistent and looking for ways to improve so even though she has bad habits I think you know they are bad and are looking for help. If you are willing to commit you have come to the right place you will find lots of help here.

Go find the IR thread as mentioned and STUDY it don't just breeze through it. Second and what will be the hard part find a good coach that is close as much as we can help having someone there is invaluable. I wish you could simply stop her from pitching in games and dedicate the next few months to getting things right but that's a big ask in the middle of the season. The problem is as she starts doing things correctly its going to take time before she can consistently throw strikes.

The arm circle and drive mechanics are separate things that can be learned separately and there are drills to help but you have to put them together to be successful. When beginning as mentioned she not be throwing to a catcher you can do a lot without a ball or even throwing the ball or just hitting a tarp a few feet in front of you....DNeld pretty much laid thigs out for you but please come back with questions or things you need explained better.

Apr 28, 2019
She has a lot of speed but no accuracy. Ideas?
And

Honestly I didn’t see much speed. She needs a good pitching coach. She is not fundamentally sound.
If she’s consistently throwing high she needs to lengthen her stride and/or release ball sooner.

May 26, 2019
Thanks again for the feedback.

She just turned 12 and this is her first year as the starting pitcher in a C level traveling team. So I can’t stop her from pitching now. She is going to pitch in a lot of games. That’s why I was for feedback an a couple of things. I now see in the off season it’s going to be a littler more of a remodel.

The sad thing is I had her in a pitching clinic for 6 weeks and they didn’t say anything about the mechanics beyond telling her to take a longer stride, keeping her back straight, and getting her glove arm up.

She does have her good days. I will post a video of her in a game.

MadBanditt22 I have been at the other end of the pitch a lot. There is a lot of speed. :). Hopefully you can see it in the game video.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apr 28, 2019
Thanks again for the feedback.

She just turned 12 and this is her first year as the starting pitcher in a C level traveling team. So I can’t stop her from pitching now. She is going to pitch in a lot of games. That’s why I was for feedback an a couple of things. I now see in the off season it’s going to be a littler more of a remodel.

The sad thing is I had her in a pitching clinic for 6 weeks and they didn’t say anything about the mechanics beyond telling her to take a longer stride, keeping her back straight, and getting her glove arm up.

She does have her good days. I will post a video of her in a game.

MadBanditt22 I have been at the other end of the pitch a lot. There is a lot of speed. :). Hopefully you can see it in the game video.

What do you consider fast at 12U? Top pitchers at this age are throwing high 50’s low 60’s.
This is not common but always over achievers out there.
I would say she is playing at the right level. C is rec league developmental. My guess is she’s throwing between high 30’s low 40’s. Hard to tell from video.
My daughter is 13 and throws low to upper 50’s depending on pitch.
My other 13yr old who is relatively new to pitching throws low to mid 40’s.
The windmill motion is hard there is no sugar coating that. Consistency is difficult at her age. I would have her practice every other day. Work on mechanics and hitting spots. Don’t go crazy 50-60 pitches per session. Don’t get frustrated she will get it.
She looks tall and athletic. If she really wants to get better she will grab a bucket of balls and a net and get busy on her own. If you make equipment available she may surprise you.
I’m not saying don’t catch for her but see how invested she is by pushing herself. Lots of encouragement .

May 26, 2019
What do you consider fast at 12U? Top pitchers at this age are throwing high 50’s low 60’s.
This is not common but always over achievers out there.
I would say she is playing at the right level. C is rec league developmental. My guess is she’s throwing between high 30’s low 40’s. Hard to tell from video.
My daughter is 13 and throws low to upper 50’s depending on pitch.
My other 13yr old who is relatively new to pitching throws low to mid 40’s.
The windmill motion is hard there is no sugar coating that. Consistency is difficult at her age. I would have her practice every other day. Work on mechanics and hitting spots. Don’t go crazy 50-60 pitches per session. Don’t get frustrated she will get it.
She looks tall and athletic. If she really wants to get better she will grab a bucket of balls and a net and get busy on her own. If you make equipment available she may surprise you.
I’m not saying don’t catch for her but see how invested she is by pushing herself. Lots of encouragement .

Thanks,

She pitched 47 in the pitching clinic. She is probably around early to high 30s to mid 40s.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nabbott