12u problems with high pitch-please help

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 4, 2018
Yup. Keep changes/tweaks very small for the remainder of the season. Get lessons lined up to start the moment the season is over. Go into lessons with you and your DD and your coach all on the same page that "Let's start from the ground up". Work on stance/posture, simple drills -- you might not do full pitch for a few weeks. But those weeks will fly by and if you do the drills a lot at home you'll build that foundation that is needed to be a great pitcher for years to come -- while a bit frustrating, monotonous and boring, it's a very, very small sacrifice.

And don't worry about being defensive. Most of us do the exact same. Part of the reason I don't post videos of my DD here very often (though there are some).

We switched to Tincher in the off-season, and needed about 6-8 weeks to get back to where we were, but of course now in a better position to progress and advance. Tincher, of course, does use IR and Brush Interference (but they don't stress them a lot). So I supplement her weekly lessons with the lock-it-in drills and Show it drills.

May 26, 2019
I just thought I would share some end of season progress. She has a lot of work to do but she is progressing. Normally, she has both feet on the rubber:)

We are starting Ticher as soon as she gets back from church camp. Does anyone know of a good pitching coach in Minnesota?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nov 25, 2016
Is this the same kid as the first video? It looks like she has fixed some of that form and is on the right track.

May I ask why she isn't wearing shoes/cleats in either video? In the first one I notice she has on socks and the second one nothing at all.

I my opinion this is a good way to get injured, she may slip and roll an ankle or worse on the dirt/grass. Also she needs to get used to her foot planting into the ground with cleats when her drive leg lands it will stop her momentum much better than socks or bare feet.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Last edited:
May 26, 2019
Is this the same kid as the first video? It looks like she has fixed some of that form and is on the right track.

May I ask why she isn't wearing shoes/cleats in either video? In the first one I notice she has on socks and the second one nothing at all.

I my opinion this is a good way to get injured, she may slip and roll an ankle or worse on the dirt/grass. Also she needs to get used to her foot planting into the ground with cleats when her drive leg lands it will stop her momentum much better than socks or bare feet.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Yes, it definitely is the same girl. There has been no cleats due to my wife’s nagging about what it was doing to the grass. I will take your thoughts about injury into consideration.

Apr 12, 2015
Great progress. Well on the way.

As for the yard...you mentioned earlier she was interested in moving beyond rec. If she jumps into travel ball, the yard is going to crap anyway.

May 26, 2019
Great progress. Well on the way.

As for the yard...you mentioned earlier she was interested in moving beyond rec. If she jumps into travel ball, the yard is going to crap anyway.

She played travel this year, but in a C team. She was the sole good pitcher for the season and the only pitcher in tournaments. Just finished today and got 6th in state B bracket.

Feb 5, 2019
Let her pitch in the grass with cleats. Let it die. Take a picture of the bare patch of dirt she created with all the repetition. 15 years from now you'll look back at that picture and wish you could sit on that bucket and catch one more pitch from her.

Let it die. You'll thank me later for it.

Sep 29, 2014
I am 100% on board with just finding the place you want to use as the pitching spot and just letting it die, if you are serious get some clay and a pitching plate and just go for it!! In a couple years if she quits pitching or softball it's just a weekend project dig it all up, put down some good soil and sod and have a beer and reminisce about the good times...it's just grass. SHE NEEDS TO PRACTICE IN SOFTBALL SHOES!!! It seems trival but it really isn't as much as it will help her form the higher possibility for injury is real...

Honestly she looks a lot better now with just the good old standard stuff to work on.

Two biggest and most obvious are during her drive she does open, turn sideways and drag her back heel in; work on big push with those shoelaces she will now have on pointing to the catcher. Second she has a classic stick out your butt and bend over at release posture she should be standing straight and tall, just let me know if you really want me to break this down but if you focus on the Amanda Scarborough video you should be able to see it for yourself ,,,finally work on her arm circle a little she should not have a locked arm all the way through.

Keep up the good work.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478