12U DD Update--Need some new eyes/suggestions

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 2, 2012
on the Field
I've been on this site for a number of years reading and working on my DD's swing. She has really come a long way but I need a new set of eyes to take a look at her again. We've been working to get her short and more compact to the ball. This is a shot from her drills from yesterday. If this was your student, what would you work on?

https://vimeo.com/137617306

Sent from my typewriter

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
My first question would be what size is the bat she is using for the one handed drill in the video? In my opinion, when doing one handed drills, the size of the bat is very important. CLM mentions "bat extension through the ball" and that is the first thing that caught my eye as well. But it could have to do with the bat size, possibly. Otherwise there are components to her swing that look very good. Just difficult to tell from a drill...

Oct 2, 2012
on the Field
No, I didn't record any full swings yesterday (I will try and get some today when we do front toss) and yes it is a very short t-ball bat that we do the 1 arm drill with.

Does it look like she is pulling her left shoulder out too early? That was the one thing that looked ify to me.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
No, I didn't record any full swings yesterday (I will try and get some today when we do front toss) and yes it is a very short t-ball bat that we do the 1 arm drill with.

Does it look like she is pulling her left shoulder out too early? That was the one thing that looked ify to me.

In my opinion that is something that is difficult to determine with this type of drill. I am at work (don't tell anyone...) and don't have access to my gif collection, but I will attach one when I get home unless someone else (FFS, rdbass, etc.) beats me to it. The one I want to post is of Miggy and has a red line that intersects both shoulders to illustrate something I refer to as the "attack position". In my opinion, your DDs shoulders are a little bit too level. But again, this could be a result of the drill and may not be the same in a full swing or a game swing. Again, in my opinion, if a hitter gets into the attack position, something such as "pulling her left shoulder out" will be less of a concern.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Perfect. Post #27 in that thread shows the gif I was talking about. Thanks CLM!

qprqkn.gif

Oct 2, 2012
on the Field
Ok..I see the clip and I see what I need her to do, but how do I translate that to her? Should I be telling her that as she loads to allow her weight to come forward into the strong front side THEN release the hit hip?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OAFSoftballMom#1