12 yo pitching 50 mph

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Pitching is mostly about momentum transfer. So, the pitcher gets her body going toward the target, creating a lot of forward momentum, and then she stops her body. Her momentum is transferred to the ball. Think of driving at 60 mph with a brick on the front seat. You slam on the brakes, and the brick goes through the front window.

The keys are:

1) The body and arm going directly toward the target and not flopping outside of the "power line" (the line drawn between the pitcher and the plate. Body parts that aren't moving toward the target are not creating momentum.
2) The body has to be abruptly stopped. So, you want as little forward movement of the body during the release phase so that all the energy is transferred to the ball. Back to the truck example, if you are trying to make the brick fly as fast as possible, you would slam the truck into a tree rather than apply the brakes because the truck will stop faster by running into a tree.

When your DD lands, she allows her left knee to bend and then she slides her upper body forward. She then walks forward after she throws the ball. So, she isn't getting a full momentum transfer when she releases the ball. Her ball speed is reduced.

Look at the leg positioning and the upper body movement of this girl. Notice how "quiet" she is at release, and how the ball explodes out of her hand.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
She has a very laid back and easy stride speed. Pick up the pace of that stride and then pick up the arm speed to match and she will pick up some more speed.

A windmill pitcher can throw the ball underhanded within 5mph as fast as she can throw it overhand.

Unless she has a slow and easy overhand throw too, she is not close to her potential speed.

Other than that, looks OK from what I can see. If I were there and working with her I would have one simple question; "Why are you holding back?".

Hal

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I have been looking at that surface that she is pitching in. Is that sand? Get some black dirt mixed in there and make her a pitching lane. Also, buy a pitching rubber.

As we tell girls a lot, build your pitch from the ground up.

Hal is right about the overhand throw. I would like to see her "throw home a couple of times."

If I was working with her we would stress the basics and work on timing and keeping the weight back. We would do a lot of long toss, power k's and walk throughs.

She is a nice athletic girl that shows a lot of promise. Is she seeing a PC? Because, that is very important.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CentralCoastBulldogs