11yo DD pitching video

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 7, 2013
Things I would work on a) pivot is off the ground after push off, not good IP; b) she then drags the whole side of her foot instead of the toe and c) she is walking through the pitch. Work on having the pivot foot drag behind her stride plant and stay there until well after the pitch is gone. She also needs a more explosive drive off the pitching plate. Every pitch she throws should be with maximum effort and focus. Its about quality of the pitch not quantity. I like that she is wearing her mask, even during practice. Good luck.

Apr 17, 2012
Wi
I would start with getting her legal. She is definitely hopping. A good hard drive from the plate may help. Arm circle looks good. I think she's open enough. Hope this will get a dialogue going from some real pcs. The drag foot/anchor is an issue too.

Jan 6, 2013
She looks like a pitcher to me. I'd like to see her push off and out harder. She seemed to push off and up. Pushing out helps the arm whip stay fast. Pushing up can be illegal but more importantly, the pull of the arm whip down to 6 O'clock is stronger when pushing off and out with the legs with a light toe drag. I hope you find this helpful and I hope I know what I am talking about. I'm just a bucket dad to a 12U pitcher in Ohio.

Jan 8, 2013
South Carolina
She looks like a pitcher to me. I'd like to see her push off and out harder. She seemed to push off and up. Pushing out helps the arm whip stay fast. Pushing up can be illegal but more importantly, the pull of the arm whip down to 6 O'clock is stronger when pushing off and out with the legs with a light toe drag. I hope you find this helpful and I hope I know what I am talking about. I'm just a bucket dad to a 12U pitcher in Ohio.

Once I slowed the video down I saw exactly what you are talking about. I noticed the hips go up and then down. I think what I am hearing with everyones comments and seeing in the video is her drag foot is a big key to improvement. In my mind, if she drives forward, keeps her drag foot down and on the inside of the toe (not entire foot), this will keep her motion and power moving forward (not up and down) and keep her from walking thru the pitch.

Jul 17, 2012
Once I slowed the video down I saw exactly what you are talking about. I noticed the hips go up and then down. I think what I am hearing with everyones comments and seeing in the video is her drag foot is a big key to improvement. In my mind, if she drives forward, keeps her drag foot down and on the inside of the toe (not entire foot), this will keep her motion and power moving forward (not up and down) and keep her from walking thru the pitch.

Without a doubt, that's a crow hop that wouldn't get past any respectable umpire. If it did, I'm almost certain the other teams coach would catch it and would be screaming from the dugout. Arm circle looks great. In my opinion, and this is only an opinion, the crow hopping is partially a result of her not getting into the negative lean position. She's got a good start with her weight shifting foreward to "take-off", but what she needs to learn is that when she does, the next train of thought is to get the front hip above the back hip, and the front shoulder above the back shoulder, and she not doing that. She's staying level the whole way through. She needs to feel that negative lean after launch. If a guy as green as myself can offer up a suggestion for a "drill", it would be to have her throw her pitches with the goal of as soon as she releases the ball, she takes a step back. NEVER fall foreward past the point of the plant foot landing. That may help her naturally learn the negative resistance. The other option, which is far more radical, would be to hold a pool noodle in front of her at head leval, 12 inches BACK from where her head finishes now. Tell her she CANT hit it.

I also notice the plant foot landing closer to 90 degrees than is desireable. She has no strength to fight the foreward motion with her leg totally sideways. Get that plant foot landing at les than a 45 degree angle. Easy fix is to exagerate the correction. Tell her to land that stride foot pointing to the right side of the plate.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dadmad