11YO DD’s Health

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
I have to quit going on, but I do think this all applies to OP and helps others. My family all got started down this path because Nov of '11 dw's bff was diagnosed with breast cancer. She wanted to try other approaches before starting harsh meds. After getting cancer and going plant based diet, she said she had never felt better. End of story, holistic dr. told her to go back to the cancer center to get checked last month. On January 5th '13 the U of I cancer center proclaimed her 100% cancer free.

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
I have to quit going on, but I do think this all applies to OP and helps others. My family all got started down this path because Nov of '11 dw's bff was diagnosed with breast cancer. She wanted to try other approaches before starting harsh meds. After getting cancer and going plant based diet, she said she had never felt better. End of story, holistic dr. told her to go back to the cancer center to get checked last month. On January 5th '13 the U of I cancer center proclaimed her 100% cancer free.

Got You!!! It is reverent to OP, but has many choices one has to choose from. I'll stop too after this... Healing is contagious! Your reporting victories inspired me, in my Hoping the best for our Softball friends!!!

Wow sorry to hear that, lots of great advice and I think will ultimately be a two pronged approach.

1) It's long and arduous but you have to do all the medical tests to rule out everything Crohns, allergies, Celiac, etc.

2) Solution will probably be diet based, I would consult a nutritionist and doctors and see what they think they can do even without a diagnosis. IMO the biggest thing is going to be doing what we should all be doing anyway a diet that includes some fruits, lots of vegetables and lean meats with no processed foods.

Good luck and as always consult your doctor before jumping into any advice you see on the internet and I hope and pray that your DD gets better.

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2011
Colorado
If you all would like something to read - I finally ready "The Omnivore's Dilemma". I thought the author to be very insightful and unbiased. It gave me a lot to think about regarding food supply, corn in our diets, grass fed meat, etc.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Regardless of what the test results are, I would try out a month of a gluten-free diet with her anyway—it's not something you need a doctor to recommend. From personal experience, I know sometimes the initial test results can get skewed if the irritation is bad enough. A month goes by quickly, and you really can't lose; the worst thing that could happen to her is she eats healthier, and the best thing is she feels a lot better.

A couple of her cousins are on a gluten-free diet so we have some idea what is involved and have some support if this is the end result. We did the gluten-free diet for a few days, I know that is not enough time to see any results, and DD was not impressed. Like anything else I sure she will get use to it if she has too. I should say we will get use to it because I will be on it with her.

Carly

Pitching Coach
May 4, 2012
Pittsburgh
A couple of her cousins are on a gluten-free diet so we have some idea what is involved and have some support if this is the end result. We did the gluten-free diet for a few days, I know that is not enough time to see any results, and DD was not impressed. Like anything else I sure she will get use to it if she has too. I should say we will get use to it because I will be on it with her.
Keep at it! I was told by my doctor that it can take 2 weeks of no gluten for the inflammation to start going down. And of course if she has other sensitivities, that could affect her progress too.

May 10, 2010
I had a similar expierence. Mine was caused from the fact that some medications and vitamins do not have a coating or the coating on them cause my stomach to bleed. Have to make sure I take pills with food and plenty of water.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Tests yesterday show DD is a healthy kid.

Gastroligists(sp?) on Tuesday. DW has a call into the assist principal to see how many days of school she can miss without being held back. What a nightmare.

I asked DW if DD is held back if she would be eligible for JV softball again. Hopefully she will be talking to me again in a couple days. As I type this there is no humor is any of this.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dionrod67