11y 2nd year Pitcher Videos

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

stv

May 12, 2010
Beginning Season 2 warm ups

Working on staying back, swimming ect...

Change up

This will be the start of her second year pitching.
Question: I know that we all preach good mechanics and perfecting them. But... Do we need to let them throw with out nit picking every thing, every pitch?
Also what about throwing hard 110% with game face. How often? How long? (Do not want to injure her.) We practice staying loose and smooth. Especially now just starting back. P.S. She knows to keep her back foot on the rubber.
Thanks

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
t6dq90.gif

Jan 27, 2010
Doing very well, I believe she is on the right track and will continue to improve. Good job, young lady!

stv

May 12, 2010
Do you consider her motion as "getting open" when she throws?

In the rear view id say not so much. We do work on getting more open. K drills and stuff always at warm up.
Actually when working on getting rid of her swimming seems to take care of it.
Our Ideal sequence I guess is most like B Hillhouse. Not so much bend at the start (as in the videos) We do like lean forward. Keep the ball hid. Explode / Blow out off the mound with both hands. Then keeping glove hand toward the catcher. Just has'nt became muscle memory yet. I cant wait until it does.
Glad you mentioned it.
That's what I meant earlier. Do you just let them pitch some times?
By the way we were at the fields yesterday and after practicing we were throwing to warm her arm down. And sometimes I try different spins myself. I was trying to do the rise ball and she saw it and she started to throw it back to me. I never could get perfect spin. But she did often. We do practice the spin with a double ball but do not practice from the circle. Yet. That's what kinda started Stay behind the ball. One do not lean forward after the pitch and two if you are every going to throw a rise ball. You need to stay behind the ball. (From what I understand)

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I think she looks pretty good for 10 YOA. I would definitely "just let her pitch".

Question: I know that we all preach good mechanics and perfecting them. But... Do we need to let them throw with out nit picking every thing, every pitch?

Of course.

In practice, you have her focus on something other than her mechanics (like speed, for example). When her mechanics fall apart, you go back to mechanics.

Additionally, when she pitches in a game, she needs to "just throw" and not think about mechanics. (In the movie "Bull Durham" when Crash says, "Throw, don't think", he is actually talking about mechanics. You work on mechanics in practice. During a game, "you just throw".)

Girls sometimes get into a "do A, then do B, then do C, then do D" approach to pitching. So, your DD can develop a herky-jerky motion unless you "just them pitch".

Also what about throwing hard 110% with game face. How often? How long?

To quote Bobby Knight, "What the **** is a game face anyway?"

As to your question, she needs to spend part of every practice throwing hard. She throws hard until her mechanics break down--then, you slow her down, get her mechanics back, and then do it again. Rinse and repeat--about 3000 times (200 practices sessions, with 3 breakdowns per practice session, for 5 years), and voila--you've got a pitcher.

The better she gets, the longer it becomes between "mechanics failure".

I was trying to do the rise ball and she saw it and she started to throw it back to me. I never could get perfect spin. But she did often.

Right...she is staying back and getting under the ball when she throws. So, she will be able to throw a rise without much difficulty. She is going to have a heck of a time throwing a drop.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi