Pitcher Pregame Warmup Timing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 12, 2019
How long will a pitcher stay "warmed up" before going into a game. Every team we've played with will warmup pitchers and catchers then have them go back out and do other drills. Usually my DD will finish her warmup then go back to the team at least 20 min before going to the circle. In my opinion she should finish her team drills first, pitching warmup then go straight to the circle. If her team is batting first, I'd like to see her staying loose by pitching into a net before going out. Am I looking at this wrong?

Sep 7, 2020
I think your looking at it wrong. What's the difference of her sitting through a long at bat as the visiting pitcher vs running drills with the team before starting as the home team pitcher - just looking at the first inning of course.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
A pitcher needs to look at both the physical and the mental aspect of being "warm." Physically, going about it either way you describe would be fine. As long as she is moving around and 'keeping the blood flowing,' so to speak, she'll be good to go. On the mental side, that presents more of a challenge. Some girls are fine in going from playing SS to the circle mid-inning and getting in her, "Zone" while others may need to be pulled from the game for a few minutes to pitch a few behind the dugout before going in. If you're coach knows what they are doing, they'll recognize which one your DD is comfortable with.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
I prefer that my pitchers finish their warmup as close to game time as possible. But it's a personal thing, some pitchers need a long warmup some don't. And as already mentioned there is the mental aspect which should be part of the warmup, and that focus can be lost if there's too much down time in between.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Comes down to Roster size and P's ability , compared to rest of lineup, at other positions then P. 1st inning should be easy. Coming in relief can be an Issue.

DD had 2 warm up routines, 1 if she was starting, 1 for if she might come in for relief. It annoys the heck out of me when P throws 50 pitches warming up. They are not going to last.

You are not learning to P before or during game, keep it simple and quick when you need too.

Feb 10, 2018
NoVA
My DD learned a lesson about this yesterday. She was pitching a great game. Got through three innings with a hit or two and no runs. Then we jumped on the other team. The half inning was LONG. Literally 30 minutes or so. It was crazy-multiple pitching changes for the other team, etc. Well, my DD had not done anything to get herself ready to go back out for the fourth. She was not as sharp and then they started to touch her up. Got out of the inning only giving up a couple runs that didn't matter, but it was a good lesson. I told her after the game--and she already knew it herself--that you can't sit around that long without at least going behind the dugout and throwing 5-10 pitches to start getting locked back in.

May 17, 2012
Some pitchers can walk from the car to the pitchers mound and be ready to go with 5 warmup pitches. I had a drop ball pitcher like this.

You want them to be ready physically and mentally so do what you need to do. I tend to think pitchers throw more warmup pitches than they need but I keep that to myself.

I find no correlation from how well or poor a pitcher warms up vs how they pitch.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
What a pitcher looks like
'that day'
when they are warming up, is probably more important than give or take 20 minutes when they warmed up.

Then consistant pre-game time frame routine for the individual pitcher is important.

Some pitchers
(most *what i notice)
Would like to know who's pitching ahead of time.
Not last minute.

Apr 12, 2019
Some pitchers can walk from the car to the pitchers mound and be ready to go with 5 warmup pitches. I had a drop ball pitcher like this.

You want them to be ready physically and mentally so do what you need to do. I tend to think pitchers throw more warmup pitches than they need but I keep that to myself.

I find no correlation from how well or poor a pitcher warms up vs how they pitch.

Usually DD will go through her warmup a little faster than she should and say everything is working. Then she'll start the game and everything is obviously not working from my perspective. Last game played, she came into the 5th inning from the outfield with bases loaded, 1 out and no pregame warmup and got out of the inning with 2 strikeouts with one run on an error. She proceeded to pitch two innings getting a couple more strikeouts one hit and no runs.
Maybe warmups are overrated lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00