11 Year Old - Opinions Please

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

WiZ

Feb 11, 2010
Over a year ago I posted some video of my daughter pitching. After a strong year in 10u I did some research and had some quality people look at her and they suggested an immediate change in her pitching style for #1 health reasons over the long haul and #2 for better performance overall. So, this has been a tough winter keeping "old Abbey" out and creating "new Abbey" but she is doing very good and working hard.

Her issues (which are clear in this video) are the inconsistant force of her drag (slamming the right side into the left creating the transfer of weight). If its late she bends over and the elbow sneaks out again. The other issue is not getting all the way open giving her arm circle the right away. Ive been told straightening out her glove and attacking with her left side first and on the powerline will help her open up.

Im looking for a few drills that would help address these issues. Plus, any overall comments are welcome. Abbey is 11 years old. She stays consistantly 46-50mph in game. Has hit 54mph a few times on a high quality gun.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
She looks pretty good. A couple of pitches she is on her front foot, but she is 11 YOA and will be inconsistent.

I agree with Screwball about the hands over the head. It is a waste of energy. Good pitchers (and I expect her to be a good pitcher) sometimes have to pitch 4 or 5 games in a single day. When she is pitching the championship game on Sunday at 7 PM after starting in the losers bracket at 8 AM that morning, she will need every ounce of energy she can muster. Just have her put her hands to her right side, adjust the ball while the ball is hidden in the glove and have her start her backswing.

May 7, 2008
WiZ: First off, I agree with Sluggers that there is far too much energy wasted on motion that does not relate to anything. Just have her put the ball on her right side, bend forward, bending her knees and leaping out with the force she has already. I don't believe she needs that big back swing either. Beyond that when she lands her stride foot she is over the front end and her back is bent forward with her chin down. Look at the Finch video, her body is arched back and her chin is up. Rich

Mar 11, 2009
ttt

I think she opens the hips good, but never closes them right after the release..Also right leg is finishing behind left leg...Probably can get more speed....Why does the high quality gun give higher readings than lower quality gun?

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
He probably means a high quality gun is more reliable. In order to fine tune her motion you really need to see it in slow motion, in order to do that you need good lighting or you need to be outside, tough at this time of year. I would like to see her arm action and that's impossible without slo-mo. Overall pretty good.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA