11 year old daughter swings late, cannot determine ball or strike in time

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
Paitience is your #1 key here. If she does love to play and wants to hit and you are willing to work with her it will come. Let her know that you are on a journey together and it will get better if she is willing to keep trying. She is only 11.

Get game video. You watch it a lot and watch it together. Your assumptions may not be accurate about what she is doing and she may have no idea what she actually looks like up there. By watching together as third parties you may objectively come up with some solutions. You may for example see together that she doesn't wait too long to swing but waits to long to coil or load. You may see that in games she is actually an arm swinger and has no initiation with her core.

Get some video.

Feb 15, 2011
FL
I found my DD was concentrating on the pitchers hand the whole way around and then only picked up the ball 1/2 way to the plate. Some pitchers could fool her with their follow thru. Once she learned to focus on the hip and pick up the ball there, her distance and average went way up.

Jun 9, 2010
Alabama
I never post on here, just read A LOT!! trying to learn as much as I can to help my 11yo. Just wanted to tell everyone THANK YOU for all the great posts and advice! It is extremely helpful for dads who are just trying to keep their daddy's girl passionate about the game! Thanks again...

May 14, 2010
Very similar to the "Yes, Yes...", I teach that the player is to consider everything to be a strike. Until it's not.

It is the exact same mindset. I prefer mine though when it comes to game situations. If I have a player way behind in her swing or watching too many strikes, I can tell them "Everything is a strike" and the player knows, immediately and in the box, that they are slow or late or indecisive. They can make an immediate correction.

If I start telling them "Yes, yes, yes", people are going to think I am having a Meg Ryan moment. :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Preschuck