11 DD bat drag help (video)

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 13, 2013
These are a couple of tee swings. I know she has a couple of problems but my main thing is the bat drag, we've been trying work on it. Any help would be appreciated. She also looks as if she needs to work on extension and finishing high. Thanks in advance. Sorry for the sub optimal video quality.

Hylan tee 2 - YouTube
Hylan tee 1 - YouTube

Feb 3, 2014
IMO you need to work on the lower half. Didn't see much bat drag myself. She is turning the hips somewhat but it doesn't appear that she is generating much power with them. Watch the back foot, it turns, it shouldn't turn in the manner that your DD's is. It should be pulled up/forward by the action of the rear hip powering/turning forward. If you put a tennis ball outside her rear heal she shouldn't hit it/move it when she swings. Work on getting the lower half corrected and then work on the upper half, IMO. There are tons of good threads on DFP that will help, start reading. Go to the model swing thread and watch some of the gifs, watch how their hips work. Once the lower half is working you can determine what the upper half needs. A good lower half may positively effect the upper half.

These are a couple of tee swings. I know she has a couple of problems but my main thing is the bat drag, we've been trying work on it. Any help would be appreciated. She also looks as if she needs to work on extension and finishing high. Thanks in advance. Sorry for the sub optimal video quality.

Hylan tee 2 - YouTube
Hylan tee 1 - YouTube

May 13, 2013
Thanks for your input panther. So do you think the hands are starting before the hips. I know what you mean by getting a back foot up on a toe , ive been trying to get her to understand that. I also think a lot of it has to do with not having a firm front side she has a little flex in the front leg. Thanks again.

Feb 3, 2014
I would agree the hands start first and the front side is not firm. However, I would focus on establishing the lower half mechanics first. It's not just a matter of getting the back foot up on a toe. The reason the back foot comes up on the back toe is that the hips are working correctly. Read some of the threads on the sequence of the swing. I am sure that some of the others on here will chime in as well, I by no means am an expert. Most of what I know has come from reading and deciphering threads, as well as some individual help from some of the good folks here at DFP.

Thanks for your input panther. So do you think the hands are starting before the hips. I know what you mean by getting a back foot up on a toe , ive been trying to get her to understand that. I also think a lot of it has to do with not having a firm front side she has a little flex in the front leg. Thanks again.

May 29, 2013
She leans her entire upper body rearward too far during her load. The spine should remain near verticle with the emphasis on rotation of the shoulders. Try to get her to embrace the sensation of falling toward the ball during the load.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Five frame what would you term this as sir.

I would term it a swing that could be made quite productive.

See if she can feel the resistance all the way down to the lower rear back as she begins to turn the barrel ... almost as if she was turning the barrel against that as a base or prying type action.

2jfk84n.jpg

Get the backside leading the swing ....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooneyham6877