10yo DD

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Howe

Blowhard in training
Aug 28, 2013
Is it really bullying when I call out how goofy "I think it is" - that a committee of on-line members has assembled a fictional playbook to include make believe tenants - and verses - to the HL swing??? I think it's even goofier for those that are paying for the poorer version of that playbook.

I'm sure that's just me thinking out loud.

Howe

Blowhard in training
Aug 28, 2013
rd, make no mistake, you love being in the "club" thingy. But no, never thought you were calling me a bully. No secret that you and I still PM. I hardly agree with how you view or teach the swing. Doesn't mean I don't like you.

I'll put myself back on silent mode. Carry on!

Last edited:

coachbob

Banned
Apr 26, 2012
SoCal
......Goofballs think it's about the scap and the scip and the pinch and the poke. It's about the hands spatial awareness. Everything else happens correctly if you put the focus where it belongs.....

........I'm the opposite of a bully.

Ok, you're a super hero, the opposite of a bully. The fact remaims that you insult people for giving their opinion. You speak like your word is gospel. I've known other Coaches who speak in absolutes, like what they know is the only truth. They mesmerize with their self confidence, and it works with children, for a while. Do you know that you rarely enter a thread without first telling OP not to listen to another user? I guess that's what super heroes do. Do you think that maybe your coaching style is outdated? Perhaps you should try being more positive when you enter a room. I have engaged in useful debate with you, so I know you have it in you. As a father of six, I understand your sensitivity to this particular swing component. I can't say for sure that I wouldn't be angry either, but please direct your anger elsewhere, and refrain from referring to me as a goofball. In kind, I will retract my bully comment.

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2014
Ohio
RS, I think Howe gave excellent advice in his first post.

In your first clip the ball is way out in front - and she doesn't lunge! She might be traveling a ways, but doesn't that simulate where she might hit the ball on a change-up (when you say she struggles with a change, at 10u we're often talking about arcing - slow pitch- change-ups; If these are what she struggles with, I wouldn't use that as a good measure for struggling with a change).

Your DD doesn't travel as much in the second clip, *with the tee move back,* and still has nice balance and, yes, a heck of a swing for a 10 year old.

I don't know if this rises to the level of advice, I tread lightly here, but something I've noticed since I read a thread last year on "hip coil" is that at the higher levels players seem to use the coil as a timing mechanism. I was always taught the mechanism: your stride foot lands when the pitchers does, but what I see, instead, is the coil beginning when the pitcher's foot lands. Given the coil "mechanism", because your DD already seems to coil I would think traveling doesn't seem a bad thing - she'll look more like the second clip on a fast pitch. Given the stride mechanism, yes, I could see toning it back a bit.

Anyway, for what it's worth.. Good luck to you guys!

Aug 3, 2013
Tee being out front more than I would like to see. I think your DD has a nice swing. Only suggestion I would make would be the dropping of the barrel behind your DD shoulders during the swing. 'Turn the barrel to the ball' not 'drop' then 'turn the barrel to the ball'. JMHO
Keep up the good work.
I hope someone 'helps' the DD hitter behind your DD.
Added: Think about the rear leg is 'in charge' of the front leg stride/reach out.

[video=youtube_share;dpSFq8MKAGA]http://youtu.be/dpSFq8MKAGA[/video]
swing from tonight, worked on getting and maintaining stretch.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Nice job!! I agree with Howe. I would like to see her duplicate this swing from a live pitch. Hard to believe she is only 10.

I am trying to teach myself how to make gifs. I hope this works...

210hu2s.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nate321