10yo DD

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Very nice swing for age 10. Most 16-year-olds would do well to have it, too.

What do people think about how much ground she gains with the back foot? It is a very aggressive swing. It's not exactly hitting in a phone booth, as some advocate.

Apr 5, 2013
Back on the dirt...
TeeDrillRH.gif

I agree that the tip and rip is a great drill for hand path. JME with my DDs' swings. Have not totally refined it for live pitching but they both can send it off a tee better then before. More mph on exit speed doing this drill than doing it without. Again, just my experice with two kids recently.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2013
Very nice swing for age 10. Most 16-year-olds would do well to have it, too.

What do people think about how much ground she gains with the back foot? It is a very aggressive swing. It's not exactly hitting in a phone booth, as some advocate.

CoogansBluff - you sent me a pm but your box is full

As far as her gaining so much ground, I think it causes her to struggle with a change up but not to many of those in 10u. Her approach at the plate is to hit the first good or decent pitch she see's. She usually swings at any pitch good or bad, lol.

I have had some good advice from a couple of members here thru pm's that's seemed to help her a lot.

She has done the tip n rip drill some and even had a lot of tip her swing, but she's never done it right.

Aug 3, 2013
RD
I was not suggesting she isn't turning the barrel, and I certainly was not suggesting neck slotting as anything other than a "feel" drill. Nor am I suggesting this swing is anything other than remarkable swing for a 10 year old. As is the custom in this forum, I was just giving my opinion as to what minuscule flaw I see in the clip, based on the mechanics that I believe work for me and my kids, and stand up to video. I felt that the pullback in the scap area was stopping instead of continuing backwards, and felt a little shift then swing. That's what I would work on, and did provide that caveat with my post. Since there was no text provided with the swing, I used the default protocol in providing some user feedback.

yOXJHAl.gif

CDavisOverlap.gif

RD, and Coachbob

Are you both saying that she is loosing what stretch she has as she laying the bat off and not turning directly to the ball?

coachbob

Banned
Apr 26, 2012
SoCal
RD, and Coachbob

Are you both saying that she is loosing what stretch she has as she laying the bat off and not turning directly to the ball?

I cannot speak for RD, but I think she needs more pullback in the scap; more stretch while fighting to keep her weight back like the guy in orange above. If the weight shifts prior to launch because you stop pulling back, you lose the corner.

This is a pretty good visual of the kind of pulllback I am talking about.

Maybe You could post those PM's that were helpful, and their author; not sure why people want to keep valuable information secret by sending it in PM's

Again, great job!

OneLeggedGolfer3Overlap.gif

Last edited:

Howe

Blowhard in training
Aug 28, 2013
So you're advocating that this young lady counter-rotate to the degree that the one legged golfer does? And that she point her belly button to the catcher, like the golfer does? And seriously, asking a guy for his PMs? A bit over the top, no? Maybe you should share your password to the private side of the site you frequent?
I cannot speak for RD, but I think she needs more pullback in the scap; more stretch while fighting to keep her weight back like the guy in orange above. If the weight shifts prior to launch because you stop pulling back, you lose the corner.

This is a pretty good visual of the kind of pulllback I am talking about.

Maybe You could post those PM's that were helpful, and their author; not sure why people want to keep valuable information secret by sending it in PM's

Again, great job!

OneLeggedGolfer3Overlap.gif
RS, there are 2 indicators that I look for. Do the hands and rear knee stay back in the relative location - no matter how much move out - until commitment.

coachbob is under the impression that you can ONLY stretch a rubber band BACK. He doesn't understand that in the HL swing, the rubber band is held back and stretched forward. :D

Yep, even with the guy in the orange uniform:
CDavisOverlap.gif

The Babe did fine with HL pitching. Even though his head traveled during his move out:
BabeDrill.gif

Last edited:

Howe

Blowhard in training
Aug 28, 2013
Some may not like the way Chipper explains it. They have even made it more about pulling back and such. They make up words like scip axis and show nonstop gifs with torsion springs inserted in the hitters rear kidney. Funny stuff!

Chipper is only a HOFer. I'm sure our internet gurus know much more than he does... It's noble of them to correct his misunderstandings. And if they can profit off of it, it's all the better. For them at least.

[video]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/21782700/ChippersSeparation.MP4[/video]

Last edited:

coachbob

Banned
Apr 26, 2012
SoCal
So you're advocating that this young lady counter-rotate to the degree that the one legged golfer does? And that she point her belly button to the catcher, like the golfer does? And seriously, asking a guy for his PMs? A bit over the top, no? Maybe you should share your password to the private side of the site you frequent?
RS, there are 2 indicators that I look for. Do the hands and rear knee stay back in the relative location - no matter how much move out - until commitment.

coachbob is under the impression that you can ONLY stretch a rubber band BACK. He doesn't understand that in the HL swing, the rubber band is held back and stretched forward. :D

Yep, even with the guy in the orange uniform:
CDavisOverlap.gif

The Babe did fine with HL pitching. Even though his head traveled during his move out:
BabeDrill.gif

Hello Howe. I'm not asking her to play one legged golf. I was asking her dad to feel the pullback (stretch, pinch, etc.) of the one legged golfer; but you knew that. Nor did I say anything about head travel, stride, move-out, etc. You also know full well that whether she is stretching forward or backwards in this case, that she is stopping her stretch at a point that is not optimal. You also posted another hitter keeping his weight rearward on move-out. I Love the look of the Babe Ruth stride; Thanks for posting that. So, to sum it up, I said that I would work on improving her pullback, but if you prefer holdback, that's okay too. I just think she would benefit from not stopping it short, and keeping her weight back (relatively speaking) longer..... But again, you already knew that.

As to my password at the other site that nobody is allowed to mention; no. But, i agree it was an inappropriate comment. I should have just came out and said that people who use pm to dodge posting their advice in a thread, might not withstand public scrutiny. Furthermore, these observations are my own, and the other site might say I'm full of it; not really sure. The OP asked me a question, and I answered to the best of my ability. I really think you have better stuff to offer the OP than this post, but your hatred clouds your judgement. Your original post about over-coaching was more on-point and very good advice.

OP - to clarify, I am just a dad and TB coach. My observations are not based on my own mastery of the high level baseball swing, but are from research, education, swinging, and several decades of immersing myself in swing mechanics from another sport.

Howe

Blowhard in training
Aug 28, 2013
Hello Howe. I'm not asking her to play one legged golf. I was asking her dad to feel the pullback (stretch, pinch, etc.) of the one legged golfer; but you knew that. Nor did I say anything about head travel, stride, move-out, etc. You also know full well that whether she is stretching forward or backwards in this case, that she is stopping her stretch at a point that is not optimal. You also posted another hitter keeping his weight rearward on move-out. I Love the look of the Babe Ruth stride; Thanks for posting that. So, to sum it up, I said that I would work on improving her pullback, but if you prefer holdback, that's okay too. I just think she would benefit from not stopping it short, and keeping her weight back (relatively speaking) longer..... But again, you already knew that.

As to my password at the other site that nobody is allowed to mention; no. But, i agree it was an inappropriate comment. I should have just came out and said that people who use pm to dodge posting their advice in a thread, might not withstand public scrutiny. Furthermore, these observations are my own, and the other site might say I'm full of it; not really sure. The OP asked me a question, and I answered to the best of my ability. I really think you have better stuff to offer the OP than this post, but your hatred clouds your judgement. Your original post about over-coaching was more on-point and very good advice.

OP - to clarify, I am just a dad and TB coach. My observations are not based on my own mastery of the high level baseball swing, but are from research, education, swinging, and several decades of immersing myself in swing mechanics from another sport.
Thanks coach, you give me a lot of credit for pretending to not knowing things that I really do know. Nice to know.

tjintx

A real searcher
May 27, 2012
TEXAS
Is your DD doing a specific drill in this clip or is this Her swing? Cuz it reminds me of someone else...
Good job Dad and Hitter..

0Xl4YT.gif
YeeKickDrill.gif

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA