10yo DD

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 3, 2013
I cannot speak for RD, but I think she needs more pullback in the scap; more stretch while fighting to keep her weight back like the guy in orange above. If the weight shifts prior to launch because you stop pulling back, you lose the corner.

This is a pretty good visual of the kind of pulllback I am talking about.

Maybe You could post those PM's that were helpful, and their author; not sure why people want to keep valuable information secret by sending it in PM's

Again, great job!

OneLeggedGolfer3Overlap.gif

Coach - Thanks for commenting and for the Gifs.

I sent a pm out last year to a member and he has been helping ever since.
I sent one to another member a few weeks ago and he has been helping. Nothing secret, nothing that hasn't been posted here before. I don't think anyone is being secret, I'm like you a Dad that's trying to help my DD.

Howe

Blowhard in training
Aug 28, 2013
RS's DD is building the spatial awareness of keeping her hands back, relative to the body moving out. Goofballs think it's about the scap and the scip and the pinch and the poke. It's about the hands spatial awareness. Everything else happens correctly if you put the focus where it belongs... Nothing special other than that.

Pulling the hands back and moving forward is a no-no. You can see that in the young lady in the background.

0Xl4YT.gif

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
RS's DD is building the spatial awareness of keeping her hands back, relative to the body moving out. It's about the hands spatial awareness. Everything else happens correctly if you put the focus where it belongs... Nothing special other than that.

0Xl4YT.gif

This is an excellent post. I like your use of the term "spatial awareness". I think of this as an individual thing rather than a cookie-cutter one-size-fits-all. The student needs to perform the action and feel what is happening. I do agree that she is developing that trait that you are explaining. She is creating that stretch. However, it appears with my less trained eye that her upper body, shoulders, and head are riding forward with the stride. Wouldn't there be some benefit in relaxing the amount of forward movement in those regions?

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
However, it appears with my less trained eye that her upper body, shoulders, and head are riding forward with the stride. Wouldn't there be some benefit in relaxing the amount of forward movement in those regions?

Good question, similar to what I asked back the back leg kick. My daughter's swing resembles the one being critiqued, and I do question sometimes whether she should reel it in just a little for more control.

If you have a big stride, the upper boady is going to ride forward with the stride. So IMHO, I think that's a style thing. However, once the heel gets down, you don't want to keep drifting forward or you'll have trouble.

Below, Carlos Gomez 'rides forward' with the stride and gets a 'leg kick'. His eye level also loses elevation, which many people say will ruin you, but I don't agree - if you don't keep drifting at heel plant.

Another example of hips/upper body travel during stride is seen in the Gerri Ann Glasco thread.

Carlos-Gomez-.gif

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2011
Pacific Northwest
Good question, similar to what I asked back the back leg kick. My daughter's swing resembles the one being critiqued, and I do question sometimes whether she should reel it in just a little for more control.

If you have a big stride, the upper boady is going to ride forward with the stride. So IMHO, I think that's a style thing. However, once the heel gets down, you don't want to keep drifting forward or you'll have trouble.

Below, Carlos Gomez 'rides forward' with the stride and gets a 'leg kick'. His eye level also loses elevation, which many people say will ruin you, but I don't agree - if you don't keep drifting at heel plant.

Another example of hips/upper body travel during stride is seen in the Gerri Ann Glasco thread.

Carlos-Gomez-.gif

Hip extension is supported by the Hamstring.
You can see good hip extension in Yees kick drill.
Spatial Awareness is something I work on all the time in girls basketball. they have NONE.

Mirrors are a great tool for the hitters to see themselves and their hands, or whatever your focus is on at the time.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Wouldn't there be some benefit in relaxing the amount of forward movement in those regions?
JMHO I would 'tone down' too much forward momentum/movement. I guess it's ok off a tee/drill but, 'we'(DD) practice like she would be swinging in a game. I don't want my DD being in a 'hurry' to get into/on her front leg.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
JMHO I would 'tone down' too much forward momentum/movement. I guess it's ok off a tee/drill but, 'we'(DD) practice like she would be swinging in a game. I don't want my DD being in a 'hurry' to get into/on her front leg.

Thanks RD! I would think that the bold would make it more difficult to adjust to off-speed and movement pitches.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina

Not disagreeing, but are you talking about two different things? You can have a lot of forward momentum without being in a hurry to get their if you are early and slow, right?

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Not disagreeing, but are you talking about two different things? You can have a lot of forward momentum without being in a hurry to get their if you are early and slow, right?
You can have forward momentum/movement. 'A lot' of movement/momentum, I guess if a hitter wasn't fooled on a pitch. I'm not big on a lot of forward momentum/movement with my DD. 'We' are more SNF/rear leg hitters right now. So, this is JMHO. It's what has been working for my DD and your 'mileage my vary'.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA