10U Rec. – Disgruntled

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
My DD has been treated more than fair but I am in a constant battle with the Manager about playing positions and pitching. Because I am fighting for some resemblance of equality DD is bearing the blunt of my fight. You want person X to play in the infield, off DD goes into the outfield. You want player X to P fine, DD loses an inning.

I am tired of being the bad guy. DD sees herself in the lineup card at P or 1st. then asks why she did not play those positions. I tell her that X is practicing and they deserved a chance. So far she has accepted that but it is getting old.

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Good question.

I kept track of this for 3 games and then decided I was keeping the stats for the wrong reason and stopped. If I was the Manager, or was asked to, I would have continued to keep them.

Nov 29, 2009
There is usually only one way to get away from the non-sense you're talking about. That is to go to a program that has non-parent coaching. Here is such a program. They have produced Olympic, multiple DI WCWS players, DI WCWS MVP, and a DII National Champion.

It's a hop skip and jump down I-55 from you.

Stone City Softball

Click on the tryout link and read. Then click on the Sharks to College button on the left side and see how long they've been send kids to college at all levels.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
I know but we are lucky enough to have a few options, both locally and right next store.

Softball is a low priority for DD, she practices or plays 5 days a week.

Me, do not know much learning

DD, wants to play

Wife, hates it (if DD pitches she shakes)

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2010

LOL seriously? At her age I was 'only' playing or practising softball 2 days a week. I had a hour and a half training and my one game. The rest of the time I was too busy being a kid to worry about softball.

My goodness this website makes me laugh sometimes.

Jun 24, 2010
Mississippi
I'm curious, why are you telling the coach what he should be doing? You very well may be experiencing unfair treatment, but why are you fighting with the manager? You used the words "fighting for..". How are you approaching the coach on these matters?

These answers would clear things up a bit.

Jun 15, 2011
I'm confused as well. First you say your DD has been treated more than fair then you go on to say how she isn't. Then you complain about all of the ways that she is being slighted then say it isn't a high priority for her. You complain about being robbed an inning in pitching then say your wife literally shakes when she pitches.

I don't know...seems to me you don't have a good grip on what exactly you want your DD to take out of this experience. What I've discovered in coaching is that parents usually only view the team in relation to how it pertains to their own kids personally. From a coaching view, you have to consider it from the point of view of 12 to 14 kids. Most parents refuse to consider that sometimes a team is trying to accomplish something that doesn't place their own kids in the center of the universe.

It appears to me that you are going into it looking for a problem.

May 25, 2010
There is usually only one way to get away from the non-sense you're talking about. That is to go to a program that has non-parent coaching. Here is such a program. They have produced Olympic, multiple DI WCWS players, DI WCWS MVP, and a DII National Champion.

It's a hop skip and jump down I-55 from you.

Stone City Softball

Click on the tryout link and read. Then click on the Sharks to College button on the left side and see how long they've been send kids to college at all levels.

Off-topic, I know, but what a weird coincidence - I was just reading about one of their former players this morning. Tiffany Startz is on trial for a felony battery charge because a guy she hit at a party collapsed and died after being paid $5 to let her punch him.

Jul 9, 2009
IL

This is somewhat of a contradictory statement. Practice is good but so is rest. 5 days a week is plenty especially at her age.

On Stone City, I personally have no problem with them and they have never been negative towards opposing teams and fans that I’ve seen. However, if you think positive reinforcement is the only way to go they will not be for you. If you want to sit around singing Kumbaya, they aren’t for you. If you feel your daughter shouldn’t be pulled mid-innning due to mental lapse, they aren’t for you. If you don’t want your daughter to compete against her teammates for playing time, they aren’t for you.

It’s a tough org, but they will be coached..in the Stone City way. It’s worked for quite a few girls.