Is this good enough for a 10u team?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 25, 2016
My DD plays 10U. Her team is decent and she plays an important role. She gets to pitch and plays infield when she's not pitching, doesn't sit out and bats in the heart of the lineup. She's one of the better players along with 3-4 others and the coach plays to win. I have no complaints about how the games are managed and certainly more than happy with all of the game time action she sees. The parents and girls all get along.

But...... the head coach leaves something to be desired. He is a parent. While he manages the game okay, he is very critical. He is particularly hard on the better girls when they *are* successful, even if he is flat out incorrect. For example, he'll tell a girl who pitched a great game with excellent control that she wasn't hitting her spots and she must not be practicing enough. Or he'll tell a girl that is ripping the ball that she needs to learn how to let more pitches go and not swing at 'everything.' If it didn't sound crazy and paranoid, I'd say it seems like he is intentionally trying to sabotage the girls who are successful, perhaps because he perceives them a threat to his own daughter's success? Would someone do that?

He also knows zero about fundamentals, outsources his own daughter's instruction and expects everyone else to do the same. While he puts people in the right positions to be competitive, he doesn't do any game situation practice at all and the girls are getting beat up on that. In short, he really has no business being a head coach.

Other important facts: This club is particularly expensive for the area. I am a seasoned coach and know what I am doing, but both my daughter and I prefer I stay out of club ball so she can just do her thing and I can relax and watch. So I am more than capable of teaching my daughter fundamentals and know exactly when the head coach is talking out of his rear end.

So the big question is - is this situation 'good enough?' I realize no matter where you go, there is always going to be *something* you don't like about it. And there are a lot of positives. I certainly wouldn't want her to move to a weaker team and be frustrated by the level of play or a much stronger team and not have the same playing opportunities.

And if it is good enough, any ideas on how to manage this? I have already had to tell my daughter to ignore head coach when she is doing well, because he is likely to cut her down. She has the self-confidence and maturity to realize this, but I still feel like a bad parent by telling her to basically ignore her head coach because he's an rear. I am not sure my 10-year old needs to learn that life skill already, even though we all do eventually!

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Jun 12, 2015
Personally, I'm through with inexperienced coaches who are overly critical and don't know what they're doing. BTDT, will not do it again. You just have to decide how crazy it's going to make you both (emphasis on how it affects your daughter). Then decide if it's worth it to stick around.

Feb 4, 2015
Massachusetts
If you want your DD to learn the game and get better both mentally and fundamentally, then she needs a coach that can help her achieve that. After the season, it might be time to tryout at some other clubs or talk to the organization about your goals for your daughter and see if they have another team within the org if you want to stay with them.

I know what you mean about this type of coach. For some reason they feel like they need to tear the girls down... this tells more about them than it does the players.

Oct 30, 2014
Seattle
Is this team a part of an organization. If you expressed concerns with someone higher up do you think there would be a possibility for a change? You said you don't know for sure this is happening but purposefully tearing down a 10u player (any age really) for any reason is despicable, let alone if the reason is she is better than his dd.

Mar 25, 2016
How does your DD feel about it?

She feels about the same as me. She's on to it and she has decided that the more he criticizes you the more likely it is you are doing well. She nods and smiles and then ignores him. She's known for a while to tune out any kind of skills 'instruction' he provides. She likes her team and her teammates (including coach's daughter.) The assistant coach, I should mention, is a stand up guy and does what he can to keep it positive.

I don't think that he is doing anything consciously. He's just not too bright and hyper competitive and really only interested in his daughter. So when he feels like someone is maybe outperforming her, he gets anxious, convinces himself well actually that girl isn't that good because of x, y or z and then the lack of internal sensor has him actually sharing that rationalization out loud.

The team is part of a larger organization that we are new to. Everyone is friends with everyone and while I suspect some of the coaches of the older teams are knowledgeable and realize he is not, I don't think I can bring a complaint to the table unless we are ready to walk away. I could easily see my daughter being punished if I aired it out.

A lot could change between now and August, but right now she definitely wants to stay put. She's getting the playing time and the team is successful. She left her team last year in part because the coach screamed at the girls, the umps, everyone (and the team ultimately fell apart.) She feels like this guy is much better in comparison. Seriously, where do these people come from?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YOUNGG