BB – DD might not make it the entire Season

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
BB is coming up again. Last year DD aggravated her chronic foot Issue and missed ½ of the softball season. At the end of the BB season she was running with 1 leg and dragging her other leg behind her. In hind sight she should have stopped playing BB towards the end of the season, she probably still would have missed ½ the softball season.

DD wants to play BB again this year. Doctor says it is OK, she just needs to willing to tolerate the pain. Of course she might end up in a cast again and miss some of the softball next year. She occasionally limps around the softball field too, BB is just worse.

DW and I are not comfortable she is going to survive the entire season. If she does play she does not need or want any special consideration.

Last spring’s Softball Manager was disappointed to learn after she joined the Team that she was going to miss all the preseason practice and x amount of games. We should have communicated better before she joined the Team. He was left scrambling looking for another player.

Would like to communicate better this year, both in BB and softball but am not sure how to go about it.

If we tell the coach before the season we are worried she will be treated differently which we do not want. If we discuss with the commissioner so that they can make sure the Team has the proper # of players we are pretty sure they will talk to the coach. DD might be fine and make it thru the entire season our confidence level is not really high.

In order to be fair to the Team I think at a minimum we need to discuss with commissioner and take our chances. Any thoughts on all this besides maybe should not play BB? Doctor says it is OK and DD knows the risks and what she is in for.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I don't know what you will decide to do, but having been married 30 years, I know that my husband would have told our DD "No." (to basketball)

Jul 25, 2011
Southern Illinois
I understand a player not wanting to be given preferential treatment and it is admirable that she / you do not want her to be treated differently. When it comes to a legitimate injury, especially a chronic problem, I don't see why a player shouldn't receive special care. Especially, if it helps preserve the players career, and even helps them be able contribute later in the season.
Football players are some of the toughest athletes around but those guys will sit out practices or take it easy during the week if it means they can perform on Sunday. Why should young kids with their futures ahead of them(and no money on the line) be different.
Athletes need to be tough, but when there is a legitimate issue and they can still contribute then special allowances(not preferential treatment) should be made. Especially, if they really wanna play, just be smart about it.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
As to athletics, parents generally should let their DD do what she wants ***EXCEPT*** when DD's actions might cause serious injury. This falls into the "serious injury" category.

But, if you do let her play...

She has to act with integrity. Always provide a full disclosure of her circumstances to people who might be impacted by her decision.

She needs to tell the coach what is going on and the commissioner. Could she be treated differently because she is playing BB? Or course. But, your DD is making a choice, and she has to accept the natural consequences of her choice. People will react to your DD's decision, and their reaction is outside of her control and your control.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
Chronic foot issues? You may or may not have tried this but I'll throw it out. Have her feet checked at the Good Feet store if there is one in your area. They have some excellent athletic shoe inserts and supports. My son when he played tennis could not have played with out them - he has horribly flat feet, no arches. But they have inserts to correct several problems. In fact he wears them all the time. Our Dr. said the the one he got there seem to work better than what he would have prescribed through their orthopedic department and were porbably the same price or cheaper.

Of course not knowing what the foot issue is I may be way off base.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
2 softball things happened this year that make me less then trusting.

The Team’s Manager was replaced, the new Manager purposely waited until DD was back on the field before enacting his takeover. Team was 0-8 or 0-9 before DD came back. With her in the lineup the Team won 80% of their games against the same Teams.

New manager was using my DD’s foot Issue as an excuse to allow their DD to pitch more. She couldn’t beat my DD fair and square and used her foot Issue as an excuse.

May 25, 2010
It's one thing to play through pain because you're hurt, but quite another to play through pain because you're injured.

I'm not a doctor and I don't play one on TV, but if my DD had an unresolved injury, I wouldn't let her play. She's not 18. She doesn't live on her own, so it's not her call, it's mine. If there is an injury. If she's just uncomfortable, though, then it's her call. What you're describing sounds like a real issue to me, but at risk of sounding like an alarmist, I would suggest getting an opinion from a second medical professional, either an orthopedist or podiatrist.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Not sure you have mentioned what is her chronic foot problem, not sure if its anyone's business either. But if you could be more specific you might find someone here who has dealt with the same problem.

Chronic issues are long term things, can this one be made worse? If so then you need to really evaluate how much of an impact will BB and SB have on your DDs quality of life as she gets older. Sometimes we have to make hard decisions for our kids. Not because they might be used in in a power play by some other parent whose child is competing with yours for playing time, but because no one wants to see their kid limping for the last 20 years of their life because we allowed them to take a measurable risk.

If you have seen 1 doctor on this, see a second one. Before you see this doctor, be very specific about what your DD wants to do (play sports) and find out if this doctor is knowledgable enough on sports medicine to properly guide you.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
We have been to a handful or people and they all have the same opinion. She has an Issue with the growth plate in her foot. She goes to physically therapy, has an ankle brace and does exercises every night.

Once she stops growing she will need to re taught how to walk and run. :) DW is a nurse so she is in charge of the medical side of things.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
My neighboor had a similar problem at age 11 from what you are describing. It cost her half a season of rec and a full season of summer travel. She was not allowed to do any sports activity by her doctor for a period of 3 months and was in a cast for 6 weeks. She's now 13 and shows no ill effects at all.

Hopefully this is something your daughter will "grow" out of, no pun intended.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pitch Machine Pros