10u pitching offseason amount?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 19, 2019
If you don’t know the difference between lifting a certain amount of direct weight (squats/bench/press) vs distributed body weight exercises then I’m not sure what to tell you.

Is a pull up a bodyweight exercise?

Is it "a certain amount of direct weight"?

It's always been funny to me that people who are involved in a sport that requires its participants to hurl and swing "weights" as hard as they possibly can repeatedly from the first time they ever practice until the time when they hang up their cleats are in the "weights will make your kid explode of she looks at them!!!!" camp.

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2018
My daughter (13 years old), a sample size of one, started with body weight movements/exercises to learn the movements/exercises then went to weights.
While I enjoy watching her pitch, I might enjoy watching her dead lift more!

Again, a sample size of one, but weighing in at a whopping 115 pounds, I think the strength work has helped. A lot. First at bat of a tourney she'll get some dead-red pitches because some coaches make assumptions about her abilities because of her size.
Not the second time.

I think a key in any program design is assessing what the athlete is ready for and being flexible with the program. Progress as we all know is anything but purely linear.

Will be a chilly 9:00 a.m. fall ball game in these parts.

May 9, 2019
Id also add - its not a bad idea to kick around the idea of long tossing. As basic as I can put it - helps build arms strength but most importanly - it makes you think about your lower half

I agree on this 100%. The long toss drill really helped my DD add some velocity. The other thing it helps is to see the rotation of the ball as well as the straightness of the pitch. It's something we do before every practice and game to warm up.

Jul 1, 2019
Very good info talked with pitching coach today on what will be the best for her talking with her about many different things. Just don't want to overdue it very thankful for great advice.
At the end of every lesson we have with PC, DD asks for homework (I'm always there so I can make sure of which exact details). She asks for 3 things to focus on between now and the next lesson, for her to work on with me. During DD and I's 3-4 pitching sessons each week, we work thru all the pitches she uses, a little long toss, focus on accuracy, all while keeping a main focus on the 3 homework points for that week. Next week may be three different things, may be two of the same and something new, etc. But it's three things to refine to the point of becoming habit.

Keep your sessions to about an hour especially early on. Whether she throws 100 pitches, or 50, what matters most is keeping her form/mechanics on point. In any session where form begins to degrade due to fatigue, pitching beyond that is hurting more than helping. Set realistic expectations for her, remind her that no one learns a new pitch in a day. Tell her that you'd love to see this drop ball game ready in 6 months, then when she gets it in 4 she'll be super excited at how quick she actually got it. Set attainable goals, some easy, that way she can find successes even if she's struggling with certain areas. Set some difficult goals, that way she's got to push herself outside of her comfort zone. Celebrate some small accomplishments along the way, it'll keep her motivated. Remind her how proud you are of her effort, not just achievements.

Aug 1, 2019
For now she is just having us do long toss at home with me. Some basic resistance band movements. Her pc has her for 1 hour and 15min a week there working on accuracy drills mechanics and legdrive I'm hoping for maybe a second practice a week with her pc if she can squeeze her in.

Oct 4, 2018
Gotcha.

I learned my 10 year old DD focuses on a lesson for about 45 minutes. The last 15 she's a bit spacey and silly. So I backed down to 30 minute lessons. I was just wasting money and getting frustrated. :p

Apr 11, 2016
DD (12U) has been pitching for 4 years now (IR), She never really likes practicing on her own. She likes group practices. When she was in 10U, she pitched perhaps 2x a week, once during her team practice, the other either during pitching lesson or with me, that's it. It's like pulling teeth to get her pitch a bucket on her own at home anyway. But if I could get a friend to catch for her, she would practice more. She's been pitching strikes and could pitch to the corners, Between pitching and batting lessons, plus team practices and games, she played enough softball as is. So we didn't push too many pitching practices to avoid burning her out.

We just moved, and thanks to the recommendations here in this forum, DD just started pitching lessons with a Tincher coach. Tincher is making her a better pitcher by focusing on training the right muscle groups. And guess what? The "practices" are 5 to 10-min drills that can be done at home without a ball. We live in a tiny apt right now (from 4k sq ft down to 800 sq ft!), so there aren't too much space to practice indoors anyway. These drills are as effective as full-pitch practices. She could do them in front of the TV between commercials. She's now pitching even faster in her games.

As one of her coaches used to say, practice does not make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect. 5-10 mins focusing on the right pitching muscles trumps pitching buckets of balls for hours.

Dec 30, 2011
My daughter is a first year pitcher she just started rec ball about 7 months ago didn't start pitching in rec. But after the season she wanted to give it a try all on her own I was happy to help she picked it up very quick. Then she wanted to keep playing and we tried out for a travel team and she maid the team. She is the number 2 pitcher and got about a game or 2 in a tournament. She really wants to improve trying to find out what is too much practice or not enough don't want to burn her out but she is really ancy about it and loves it. Again only been playing about 7 month's so still learning.

Most importantly she must be having fun. Next is to be absolutely sure she is learning proper mechanics. You don't want her to spend a lot of hours learning bad mechanics. It is also important to still spend time working on other skills. Hitting ability is extremely important to her future. Few coaches will sit a really good hitter no matter what. Plus hitting well is so much fun for any player. If she is really serious about pitching she needs to be going regularly to a good pitching instructor. Then be sure what you teach her is in line with her instructor, always. Push her a little but not too much. There is a fine line that can be different for any pitcher. For a beginner like her it is better to error on the too little side rather than push too much and cause her to stress out. Let her have fun with it all. I do not see what age she is. If she is really young then hitting is so important to keep the game fun for her. The other will come as she gets the time in. At some point you will need to decide if her physical stature is or will be what it takes to be a really good pitcher. Little short daughters like mine were had to give up pitching to focus on things that they could be really good at and were still able to play 4 years of NCAA softball at a very good college.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarahjackson13