10u Pitcher Evaluation / Opinions

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 13, 2010
Wiz, she is very, very good for her age. Lovely motion and she seems to enjoy it!

As others said, her follow through needs to be worked on, but otherwise congrats to your daughter!

WiZ

Feb 11, 2010
First off, let me say thank you for all the replies. And it is GREAT to know that what we have worked on is paying off. And, after reading all the opinions its also GREAT to know that we are working on the right things today. Seems like each one of you have pointed out a concern we're currently working on. I let Abbey read this thread and she smiled seeing complete strangers point out the same things that "dumb ole dad" has pointed out. We throw 3 times a week (as long as she keeps smiling). She'd throw 5 times a week if I'd let her but I don't think thats healthy physically or mentally for a 10 year old.

lhowser said:
WiZ,
Does she miss high a lot? It's hard to tell at full speed (vs slo-mo) but it looks like she comes inside the ball to me with her hand and fingers, almost like a push/screwball? Does she get more of a screw ball rotation and a push inside on righties. Just curious, I may be seeing things but if that is the case there might be a few changes regarding opening up and the bottom of the arm circle you would want to look at.

One of her main issues is her arm being away from her side on the bottom half of the circle. It puts more of a curve/cutter type spin on the ball which we're trying to correct. We have been trying to come up with things that will have her stay under the ball just before release (thus the "fingers" up that Sluggers pointed out). Its a constant battle with her but she has come a LONG ways with her elbow staying tight to the body.

Coach Al said:
How is her accuracy? She looks really good. The only thing I can see that needs improvement is her follow through.

She is normally around the plate. We have always been told by pitching coaches and camp instructors that at her age they want her first, throwing correctly, and second, throwing hard no matter where it goes. Accuracy will come with time (and this father is crossing his fingers because at times it can be frustrating). And yes, her follow through is an issue we have been working on lately as well. She stops her elbow sometimes instead of coming through with the pitch. Again, another thing she has come a LONG way with.

sluggers said:
I thought we agreed that you were going to shoot her because she had an off-practice a couple of weeks ago.

That was your suggestion when you pointed out how ridiculous I was acting after an "off practice" (and I thank you for that).

sluggers said:
Have you read the internal rotation threads? She is trying to finish with her fingers up. In Abbey3.mp4, the first pitch she uses internal rotation. Someone has apparently taught her to finish with her fingers up, which she struggles to do.

This is something I'm struggling with. Yes I have read it and would love to get her to IR as soon as we can but she is fighting the flying elbow thing right now and I didn't want to add anything additional. Her PC and I agreed that we needed to fix the arm circle and getting her tight to her hip on release should take priority. Once she gets consistent with that, the plan is to get to IR right after. I hate putting stress on her elbow (In fact, Ive taken a lot of crap because I don't allow her to throw anything other than a fastball and flip change due to the stress put on her 10u elbow.

MVLA Softball said:
Also, she can pick up speed and improve her accuracy if she uses the left side of her body more efficiently. Her glove hand is consistently swimming. Consistency is good, swimming is ineffective.

Hahaha, I let Abbey read this and she smiled immediately! This is just "one of those things" that "dumb ole dad" didn't know what he was talking about when he tried to tell her it was happening. :) Thank you.

Amy in AZ said:
Little things I would add would be to encourage her to breath. It looks like she may be holding her breath, during the pitch. On the pitchers plate, breath in and exhale. Breath in, again and exhale during the pitch.

Thats a new one to us...... She involuntary grunts when she throws. I will read up on it and try to get her to relax more.

Amy in AZ said:
Don't you love the Flip? I am the one that uses it. Have you set up the frame by frame photos, yet?

Yes I do love it. Very easy to use and supplies a great quality video. I haven't done much editing or anything yet. This was the 2nd time Ive used it.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
First of all, I love the smile (as someone else also mentioned). Nice to see she is having fun. That aspect is often overlooked.

Overall I like what she's doing. The only thing I wonder is if her arm is a little stiff/elbow locked in the circle. It's hard to tell without a side view, and I may be completely wrong about it, but it looks like she stiffens up right at the backswing going into the upswing. In my experience, if they do that they won't unlock on the downswing.

If the elbow is locked, she won't get as much whip on the ball -- she won't be able to pull it down and through. She'll pull the arm down as a unit, and wind up pushing the ball out of her hand. Again, I can't tell for sure if that's happening or not. If it is, that could be the finishing issue others are seeing.

She looks like she has a bright future. She should do really well this year too.

WiZ

Feb 11, 2010
The only thing I wonder is if her arm is a little stiff/elbow locked in the circle. It's hard to tell without a side view, and I may be completely wrong about it, but it looks like she stiffens up right at the backswing going into the upswing. In my experience, if they do that they won't unlock on the downswing.

If the elbow is locked, she won't get as much whip on the ball -- she won't be able to pull it down and through. She'll pull the arm down as a unit, and wind up pushing the ball out of her hand. Again, I can't tell for sure if that's happening or not. If it is, that could be the finishing issue others are seeing.

Its a post like this where I'm glad we are where we are with her. Yes, you are absolutely right....... We have told her about being stiff. Like any kid, when you "try" to throw hard they think that muscling up is the way to do it. I use the bull whip as an example. A loose whip stings more and thats how her arm should be. This is another issue we are trying to work through.

Also, I've wrote a few articles for the The Softball Magazine. Normally credit my website Michigan-FastPitch.com - Index Im hoping that I can do a few more this season.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd