10u Pitcher Evaluation / Opinions

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

WiZ

Feb 11, 2010
I took some video tonight with the Flip Ultra HD (that somebody from this site recommended) and I thought I would share a few of the clips for some opinions. Abbey will pitch in 10u this upcoming season.

Feb 8, 2009
I would think she'll pick up speed in no time. I love her form. She stays tall. I suppose some might like her stride out more, but looks well balanced to me.

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
WiZ,

Nice smile and energy. Looks like she enjoys it which is GREAT.

Does she miss high a lot? It's hard to tell at full speed (vs slo-mo) but it looks like she comes inside the ball to me with her hand and fingers, almost like a push/screwball? Does she get more of a screw ball rotation and a push inside on righties. Just curious, I may be seeing things but if that is the case there might be a few changes regarding opening up and the bottom of the arm circle you would want to look at.

Jan 27, 2010
First, I hope Mom was able to get warm and little sister was not too bored. Your DD shows a lot of promise and she seems to enjoy herself. She has some timing issues and some rough edges as all 10u pitchers do. I don't know how long she has been pitching but she seems to be on the right track.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
wiz: I thought we agreed that you were going to shoot her because she had an off-practice a couple of weeks ago. Geez...you can't trust anyone.

Have you read the internal rotation threads? She is trying to finish with her fingers up. The general consensus is that she should be using internal rotation with her wrist/forearm. Internal rotation is the rotation of the forearm at release. Monica Abbott is the poster child for using internal rotation on a fastball.

In Abbey3.mp4, the first pitch she uses internal rotation. Someone has apparently taught her to finish with her fingers up, which she struggles to do.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2009
VERY impressive. There are so many things being done well. The catcher has game too.
Sluggers is right - she would benefit from moving to internal rotation that is discussed on this forum. Also, she can pick up speed and improve her accuracy if she uses the left side of her body more efficiently. Her glove hand is consistently swimming. Consistency is good, swimming is ineffective.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I like this girl.

Little things I would add would be to encourage her to breath. It looks like she may be holding her breath, during the pitch. On the pitchers plate, breath in and exhale. Breath in, again and exhale during the pitch.

Don't you love the Flip? I am the one that uses it. Have you set up the frame by frame photos, yet?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd