10u pitcher after 10 months of pitching advice needed please

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 19, 2009
Ontario, Canada
Yes I saw a slight lean forward at release. Sluggers (at least I think it was Ray) suggested a drill for my DD. Have her pitch from the K position and stay in that position until the catcher throws the ball back. Great for balance and will teach her to stay back and release the ball more off of her back thigh. Boardmember's expanation of Internal Rotation on another thread here describes the backward chaining of the IR movement. It describes rotating the throwing arm outward away from the leg (when the arm is at the 6:00 position) and then rearward bringing the arm back to 3:00 position basically showing the ball to the sky. If I can find the thread I will post it - it is titled Internal Rotation and is posted by Rick Pauley. In that thread you will find BM's description of the backwards chaining. it is very interesting and makes the whole IR thing much more understandable.

Her is the URL for BM's description of IR http://www.discussfastpitch.com/softball-pitching/1348-internal-rotation.html

Right now the thread is at athe bottom of page 6 in the Pitching forum.

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2010
2 seam is a good way to pitch. I've pitched with it my whole career and never had a problem with my fastball. I do pitch 4 seam just to get that different spin, but I can move the ball better with a 2 seam grip.

Feb 5, 2010
3DD'sDad
Now I see it. The explanation is great and the clip really clarifies the whole thing. I'm not sure how much her little world can take at this point so I will ease into it. Is she losing some of the natural snap by turning too soon? I will have her work on the new drill.
Lozza,
I have her switching back and forth to keep it interesting for her and to see what will happen with the ball. She only has 2 pitches right now but by changing the number of fingers and seams, one might think she has 1/2 a dozen. I read Hal's book and at 10 years old, the other girls won't know what she's throwing but it should keep them thinking.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ceez12