10u parents are the very best

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 29, 2009
A “team mom” can be a valuable resource to you. Although, I would suggest naming that person (mom or dad) your “off-field team manager” and making that officially known to your whole team, just like they know your assistant coaches. You also make sure this person doesn’t go rogue, meaning you set defined boundaries for their responsibilities and you need to approve the activities this person is setting up. You can NOT just say “knock yourself out” and then get butt-hurt when they do something you don’t like.

A better name is the Team Admin. That is what I use. And you're right about making sure they are someone you trust.

Oct 4, 2018
These are your problems? You are better off then you think.

Yeah, wow.

I was expecting:

1. Multiple parents telling coach their kid is by far the best player and should be playing SS and batting 1st.
2. Parents complaining about why Sally is on the team when she clearly sucks.
3. Parents telling coach their daughter is a great pitcher (when she's not).

That kind of thing...

Sep 9, 2019
The bid question Mike, is knowing all this, why'd you agree to coach 10u? I think you knew what you signed up for.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
From years of being a coach as well as part of organizational and league administration, I can tell you that it is never very hard to find people that have ideas concerning how things should be managed. Finding people that are actually willing to step up and do some of the work is a completely different story. That was typically one of my rules. I already had a full plate with what I was doing, so if any parent came to me with an idea, they were automatically volunteering to lead the project.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
My suggestion would be to hold a mandatory team meeting for all the parents, and approach it with something like this...

"A number of you have come to me with questions and concerns about things like purchasing tournament t-shirts, gift exchanges, etc. These things are all great, but as the head coach of the team, I'm responsible for helping your kids get better at playing the game. Unfortunately, I can't also handle the extra-curricular things.

This is Sally Smith - Suzy's mom. For anyone who doesn't know her. now you do. I have asked Sally to take the lead in coordinating these additional activities. If you have a question or concern about on-field activities, talk to me. For off-field stuff, please talk to Sally."

As others have said, if these are your biggest problems, you're getting it easy.

We ended 10U at ASA Nationals with two ACs yelling at each other in the dugout, and insulting each others' kid. Fun times.

Nov 18, 2015
Sometimes it helps to be reminded that while we may all be playing the same game, everyone plays it a little different. Even if you're playing on the same field, each of us takes a different route to get there.

Regarding the OP, it was a good choice to steer clear of involvement in things like a gift exchange. My first thought when I read it was "well that's silly, why are you avoiding another parent? Have you not seen them X # of times at previous games, practices, team socials, school, etc.?" And here is where those differences come in. For me, my TB experience is limited to a urban / suburban area. Within an hours drive, we have a dozen or more organizations. Most of those are league affiliates - there's a few national "organizations" with A/B-level teams, but best I can tell, every "C" level team is associated with a travel program that's tied directly to their local league. VERY few go outside their home league (0-1% at the 10U level) to join TB. So unless you're new to the area, for us, the parents have likely met or seen the other families during soccer season, rec league games, or neighborhood/school-based functions.

But many DFP members have a near-opposite experience - 1 or 2 orgs to choose from within an hours drives - you've probably never seen these people before in your life, and it's easy to get "cliquesh" if 4 or 5 girls are from the same town / area. While I feel for the parent, if they can bring the issue up with you, it really shouldn't be that hard to ask the same question on an app's chat room or message board - isn't that their main purpose - communication?

Mike - please take this as a compliment - I hope all your future problems are as bad as these!

May 10, 2019
Prior to the start of the season. I have a google doc that has parent postions on it. Parents decide who wants to do what. I have
Fundraising
Team Bonding
Photographer
Game Changer
Tournament T-Shirts
Scouting
Instagram Account
General Manager
Podcast Host
and so on.

I share the document with the parents and they choose what they want. It also lets them know who the contact person is for each position. This process has alleviated a lot of headaches and allows me to spend more time planning effective practices.

Jun 8, 2016
Prior to the start of the season. I have a google doc that has parent postions on it. Parents decide who wants to do what. I have
Fundraising
Team Bonding
Photographer
Game Changer
Tournament T-Shirts
Scouting
Instagram Account
General Manager
Podcast Host
and so on.

I share the document with the parents and they choose what they want. It also lets them know who the contact person is for each position. This process has alleviated a lot of headaches and allows me to spend more time planning effective practices.
You let the parents choose who is going to do the scouting?? That might work if people knew their limitations...How has that worked out for you ;)

May 10, 2019
You let the parents choose who is going to do the scouting?? That might work if people knew their limitations...How has that worked out for you ;)
Scouting other teams. Teams we will be playing. If a parent signs up that has know clue. I just don't listen. They feel important though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi