10u parents are the very best

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 19, 2019
So I started over last fall with a fresh batch, it seems to be taking a lllloooonnnnggggg time to get the parents tuned up.

Here a two real pains in my *** that I've got going on currently. Feel free to add any of your own.

A few weeks ago a mom hit me up about a gift exchange for the girls. I told her to go nuts with it but that I wasn't going to be a part of it.

She sent out a message to everyone on the app that we use and no one replied to it.

I figured, oh cool, it's over and I didn't have to waste a second of my life on it.

Yesterday after practice a mom was kind of milling around as I was packing it all up, she asked if we were doing a gift exchange at next week's practice since it's the last one before Christmas. I pointed out that one of the other moms was trying to put one together and that no one responded to her.

She said "Well, I didn't reply because I don't really know her. Maybe I will send something back.."

I told her that she certainly should and that they need to figure out how to get along with each other because they are going to be spending a lllllooooootttttttt of time together.

The 2nd one is similar, but I actually stepped into it instead of ignoring it or putting it on someone else.

We are playing in a tournament on 01/04, the org that is hosting it is trying to sell some shirts and they asked that the money to be sent in one lump via PayPal with sizes and all that by 12/20. Our next practice is 12/21, so I told the parents all to bring the 15 dollars to practice yesterday.

No one brought any money. I thought I had dodged the bullet.

About 3 minutes ago someone sent a group message asking if there was a website where they could order a shirt.

Uh,,,, sure.

They registered a domain and put up a website to sell T-shirts for this tournament that they never ran before and probably won't run next year. They bought a pretty impressive fleet of delivery trucks to get them all out to everyone too. They are also throwing in a slice of cake and a glass of milk with every order that they hand deliver.. 🤓

This is only 2 of the times this sort of thing has already happened with this bunch. I've told them on several occasions that none of this is for me. I don't need a 10 dollar trinket nor do I need to contribute to a fund raiser for some other organization.

Their kids might like a t-shirt or something to swap with another kid on their team though.

Yap.

10u....

Jun 12, 2015
For us, in 10U the parents were crazy but almost in an understandable way. It's all new for most of them, and the focus is very much on your own kid at that age. It's not fun to deal with but you can kind of understand it. Even looking back on my own crazy first year 10U year with my DD, there are things I'd change how we did them but not what we did. By 12U I would think most of them would have settled down but we found out last year that is far from true. DH coached in 10U and 12U, and at least for him the 12U parents were way worse. Or rather, the ones who were bad were awful. Some of them were great, of course. So far 14U, the parents are great and some of the girls are catty. Soooo here we go on a new adventure.

Jun 11, 2012
Ask the mom who wanted to do the gift swap to be team mom. Give her the email of the rest of the parents. Tell the other parents that she is team mom and will be emailing them about this kind of stuff when it comes up. Then refer any of these questions to her. Do not clutter up the group chat with this

Oct 19, 2019
QUOTE="murphdog, post: 540410, member: 6332"]
Ask the mom who wanted to do the gift swap to be team mom.
[/QUOTE]

Already happened well before the gift exchange idea.

The parent who asked about it yesterday "doesn't really know her"....

Jun 11, 2012
QUOTE="murphdog, post: 540410, member: 6332"]
Ask the mom who wanted to do the gift swap to be team mom.

Already happened well before the gift exchange idea.

The parent who asked about it yesterday "doesn't really know her"....
[/QUOTE]
Have her send an email introducing herself not in the app you use. Then they can reply just to her. Some people won’t reply in a group chat because they don’t want to be judged for their question

Oct 19, 2019
[/QUOTE] Some people won’t reply in a group chat because they don’t want to be judged for their question
[/QUOTE]

I get that you're trying to be helpful, but they have the capability of sending private messages in the app.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478