10U line drive to her face

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Very true. However, I often ask the parents and coaches of these young ladies what they do on a regular basis to strengthen their players defensive skills and enhance their abilities to protect themselves in the circle.

< insert cricket sound effects here >

Masks are fine but they are no substitute for the development of defensive skills in the circle. A mask is not an end all but only one piece of the puzzle.

Agreed. The mask doesn't mean you quit protecting yourself, the same way a seat belt doesn't mean you can drive recklessly.

To me a mask is like body armor you hope you never need it. I strongly prefer not to get shot but would be glad I had it. :)

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
Very true. However, I often ask the parents and coaches of these young ladies what they do on a regular basis to strengthen their players defensive skills and enhance their abilities to protect themselves in the circle.

Masks are fine but they are no substitute for the development of defensive skills in the circle. A mask is not an end all but only one piece of the puzzle.

I agree 100% with you and have said this same thing. Too many kids pitch but dont learn defense after the pitch. They throw and stand there with their glove hanging at their side. You see it everywhere even thru college. Kids are surprised on a ball hit back to the box instead of ready.

I like and would encourage masks, but need to learn defense as well.

Jun 19, 2013
My DD wears a mask during game time pitching only. Maybe that is dumb but like Riseball is saying I don't want it to be crutch or keep her from learning to field correctly. She does a lot of dig its and drills taking balls hard out of the dirt. She has taken one off the chin a few times (was proud of the imprint of the seams to prove it) and off the cheek bone. I realize this could also hurt her but my real concern is getting that freak line drive in the face that changes her entire life.

Edit - It is completely up to her if she would like to wear her mask more frequently, I just told her for the next couple years we want her to wear it for pitching until her skills are stronger. She chooses to only wear it for pitching.

Jun 9, 2009

Do you ask the parents of girls who aren't wearing masks the same thing?

Sep 21, 2011
Agree that pitchers should work on defense also. But matter what you do to strengthen your defensive skills, there will be times when there is nothing you can do to protect yourself. Even college All-Americans (Kaitlin Inglesby, Kaia Parnaby, etc.) get hit in the face, so I have no problem with youth players using masks.

Aug 20, 2013
Agree that the mask doesn't make you a good fielder, but even a great fielder is susceptible to unnecessary injuries without one.

On a positive note, this reminds me that I've been meaning to work on some reaction drills with my DD since she plays 3b.

Mar 20, 2012
Sacramento, CA
DD and I actually had fun teaching her to defend herself.

I stood in the batters box with my tennis racket & a wiffle ball at the ready. She threw her best fast ball and as it crossed the plate I smashed a wiffle ball right back at her.

We made a game of it. If I hit her with the wiffle I got a point. If she stopped the wiffle she got a point. First one to 10 wins.

I agree this is something they need to learn. She is 1st year 14u playing against some really big girls. Last weekend she had a ball smoked back at her. She got her glove on it to knock it down and made the play at first. Would have hit her square in the "mask". She was still shaking with adrenalin when she came to the dug out after the inning. (Smile still pretty)

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
Agree that the mask doesn't make you a good fielder, but even a great fielder is susceptible to unnecessary injuries without one.

Thats why nobody said not to wear one in this thread. You always can have that possiblity of a ball that beats your glove for sure or takes a bad hop or whatever.
A couple of us are just saying that learning to play defense as a pitcher can also help instead of just learning to throw.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
I think we are already seeing one of the unintended consequences of the proliferation of fielders masks as there is much less incentive to develop self preserving defensive skills. As fielders masks become more and more part of the game will we see more soft tissue injuries as infielders become more aggressive? Will be interesting to watch.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi